Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Understanding the World-Help

Guest hfitz12

Guest hfitz12

Our children come into our Reception class with very low scores across the board. In most areas of learning the children have made good progress and a large percentage are at least in line where they should be. However our scores in all areas of understanding the world apart from technology are still low. We plan understanding the world activities each week. Not sure if we are reading too much into the statements for 30-50 and 40-60+ and ELG or what we are planning is wide of the mark! we have a very young class this year ( 15 out of 28 are summer born with 6 born in the last 2 weeks of August), 18 boys and 12 with differing degrees of SAL issues including EAL. The talk about/discuss does seem to be causing some issues. If any of you wonderful people on here can offer any advice, suggestions, ideas or support I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance. H x

Guest hfitz12

Yes it is. i have 4 with severe delay who receive weekly therapy from a therapist and daily therapy from us, 2 who have been referred for therapy, another 6 who have varying degrees of difficulty and 3 EAL children

I am currently doing a farm based topic which has helped a lot with UTW we have been doing lots of things like watching vegetables change over time, we have just hired some chick eggs and watched them hatch as well, bringing in animals helps, People from the community to visit at every opportunity. My next topic after easter will be minibeasts and I am going to bring in some tadpoles to watch them develop when the spawn appears in my dads pond! Then do life cycles / growing from this. Also planting seeds etc, have an allotment in your outdoor area? Ask the children who are EAL to get their parents in to talk about their language/traditions/community etc. Hope this helps x

Our children come into our Reception class with very low scores across the board. In most areas of learning the children have made good progress and a large percentage are at least in line where they should be. However our scores in all areas of understanding the world apart from technology are still low. We plan understanding the world activities each week. Not sure if we are reading too much into the statements for 30-50 and 40-60+ and ELG or what we are planning is wide of the mark! we have a very young class this year ( 15 out of 28 are summer born with 6 born in the last 2 weeks of August), 18 boys and 12 with differing degrees of SAL issues including EAL. The talk about/discuss does seem to be causing some issues. If any of you wonderful people on here can offer any advice, suggestions, ideas or support I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance. H x

Have to say i have to agree with you here...unless you can translate for your Eal children or get parents involved to translate then there is an issue here. I have a little girl with me at the mo who is scoring very low on UTW because her language skills are not good (she is also on salt) it's the comments and asks questions and talks about isn't it?...i guess there isn't anything we can do apart from record what we can especially if the child is observant (looking carefully at ladybirds for example or watching stones change colour in water. I really feel these children work best in the natural environment where they have lots of exposure to natural materials.

Hi

Many moons ago I used some resources form Oxfam which focused on 4 children from around the world and the pack had pictures of them doing every day things and we talked about they way they did things and the way we did things....started really simple and then started expanding it with some foods from the different countries and a few words and then finding the countries on world maps etc

Any way while looking I found this document that might be helpful - SHOW OFSTED THE WORLD

And this - Global Citizenship: Activities for under 5s

And this was the actual resource I was looking for - Your World, My World.

• Like 1

We have a similar entry and mid-year assessment profile - also found a dip in the Communication and Language attainment alongside the UW..

So we're doing lots of modelling of questionning and giving opportunities to practise using subject specific vocab, especially describing words.

Thanks Sue for the oxfam links.

Guest hfitz12

Those links are fab thank you very much. It doesnt help that we dont have a dedicated outdoor area as such but share the key stage 1 playground for our outdoor area which is basically a concrete square! Everything has to be moved when it is playtime/overnight so very little scope for planting things outdoors but I am going to plant indoors after Easter. Also as our building is over 100 years old in an urban area the school field isn't even attached but a 10 minuteish walk along a quite busy road which necessitates as many adults as if we were going for a whole day trip to meet ratios! I did price up having a mobile farm or going to a farm for a trip but the cost was too prohibitive and our head refused to let me do it.

Sorry if I sound as if I'm moaning as i'm really not but have spent endless hours racking my brains for ways round this it seems to no avail! Thank you to all of you who have offered their ideas and if anyone has anymore I would be very grateful! h x

hfitz12 try bringing the outdoors in. Collect minibeasts, interesting stones, twigs, leaves etc at this time of year daffodils and tulips anything you can find (when i walk the dog on a sunday i come back with all sorts...even picked up an owl pellet a while ago and we disected it!) i think in urban areas especially we have to fight against nature deficit and be a bit inventive! ^_^

hfitz12 try bringing the outdoors in. Collect minibeasts, interesting stones, twigs, leaves etc at this time of year daffodils and tulips anything you can find (when i walk the dog on a sunday i come back with all sorts...even picked up an owl pellet a while ago and we disected it!) i think in urban areas especially we have to fight against nature deficit and be a bit inventive! ^_^

finleysmaid mentioned Nature Deficit.....we have an article on that here....might have some ideas you can incorporate

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)