Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Keyperson planning

we split our focus children into weeks so each kp has about 7 focus children a week

We plan to meet some of each childs next steps in adult led times such as group time - this is usually a mini activity, singing story and by getting reosurces out in the workshop areas, ie Baby clinic items for mary as mummy has just had a baby and shes enjoying bathing etc and we are supporting her to develop showing care and concern (for example)

We have workshop areas which are highly resourced I am getting confused with the weekly enhancements

We look at what the children are interested in from our observations as a whole group (maybe this is where I am going wrong should I just be looking at my focus children for the following week) for example last week the children loved building a police station out of the wooden bricks so I decide to develop this by adding signs and small world people and maybe houses to create a scene for them or different sized blocks or cardboard boxes but my focus child for next week enjoys dinosaurs so I wanted to develop his learning using them - cant have these and the police station going on in the same area at the same time

my weekly plan so far is like this

Area Mon tue wed thu fri

Role play Baby baths (Mary)

Small world Dinosaurs (Ben)

But others come along who dont want to play with the dinosaurs and I land up with loads out then Bens learning goes out the window

Ive muddled myself up so much with this planning I cant seem to think straight

Can anyone ecplain how they plan for their focus children and how they plan for their environment

Thank you sorry if this sounds all jumbled! Im sure you know what Im trying to say

hi, 7 focus children per kp a week seems a lot ( or maybe I've misunderstood that bit) our kp,s have 1 FC per week, which they need to bring to the table at planning meeting, this may be taken from an ob, a LLN, a need showing up in LJ or just about anything really, they plan what they want their KC to be learning, at meeting we discuss whether this can be met with continuous provision or if an adult led needs to be planned, all kp's then add initials of any of their own KC alongside the focus children....it's then down to kp's to encourage the children they've added to participate with that activity/resource and then evaluate.

Forgot to add the things added sometimes run across the week, or may only happen on a particular day/part of the day.....but to honest it's a bit like the 'you can lead a horse to water.....' And they'll just get out what they want anyway.

Edited by mouse63

same as mouse. we each just have one focus child to closely observe, and other staff give one post-it observation for each other's child too. we chat to parent to find interests at home, then come to meeting with ideas. so if, say, child is interested in dinosaurs, but never paints, we'll put them in sand/small world or wherever we can in the room we're in and paint dinosaurs to encourage that child to paint, and anyone else can do it too. and plan in bits for gaps in learning journeys like mouse. and these 'extras' are planned in on whatever day/time suits key person x

Guest griffclan

Interested to read this thread but also a little confused....thinking about planning does that to me!!

Mouse and sooty can you please explain a bit more about how you plan. If only 1 child per KP planned for each week, how often does that mean each child's interests/next steps are planned for?

kp has next steps in mind at all times and interacts with child wherever they are to move them on. 12 in my group so each child will have lots planned in each term when they are the focus child. but other children will do activitity if want to or fits in with their interests/needs. and staff use ongoing observations to add in enhancements when appropriate e.g. W's mum had baby last week, so day after kp put dolls in water as she was in messy room, then used to develop c+l, as he doesn't say much. and one of mine had wobbly tooth leading to discussion of tooth fairy, and lo and behold she had dropped her 'tooth bag' the next day leading to lots of ideas/me writing to her/reply being sent from her/ children replying. lovely!! we leave lots of time to observe/plan immediate response

Each child is added to planning as focus child usually only once per half term but they will be included as 'would particularly enjoy/benefit from' many times, ( I do keep count to ensure all children are catered for equally) we also have an interests sheet up with who/what/when/where columns....this may just be something as simple as a child asking for something so that pm staff are aware and get it out later on or something that leads into lots of planned activities based around a theme/topic type interest.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)