Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Investigation and Exploration Boxes

I am looking at creating some exploration and investigation boxes for pre-school to use in our investigating area and also outside.

I’m a bit stuck on what ‘themes’ I could use for the boxes.

I have thought about:

· Exploring Sounds box (saucepans, metal/plastic bowls, spoons, echo microphones)

· Exploring Outdoor Materials box (leaves, conkers, pine cones etc.)

· Discovery bottles box

· Den making box (materials, pegs etc.)

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

You could try going on to 'Amazon' and note what Sally Featherstone (and others) have provided books about ... from sewing and weaving to junk music, mark-making and messy play - and look out for the 'Look inside' books - the contents often give inspiration!

I have the Little Book of Prop Boxes for Role Play' - this includes: The bird hide, Busy scissors - at the hairdressers, Washing day, Shining wheels, In a jungle, Can we build it? - Yes we can! Most of which will give you some pretty good ideas for themes.

Then there is the 'Little Book of Bags, Boxes and Trays' - this includes: The feelings bag, The weather box, Writing boxes, Colour and patters bag, An explorer's rucksack, Outdoor weaving box, Gardner's barrow, Rhyme time, The painter's box, Hunting for a bear etc.

If you want any more info on these 2 books - just let me know.

Good luck!

x

We have two "work boxes" full of screwdrivers, screws, and things for the children to take apart such as old remotes, plugs, CD player, phones etc

That's just what I'm planning to do in the summer term, Scarlettangel! Do you have any tips? (Sorry to gatecrash this post, klc!).

I had intended to use the 'fixing station' trolley (indoors - though it could easily be wheeled outside).

Guest lillybeth

Have a look on the imagination tree website some excellent ideas . I have also found an Aussie site called irresistible ideas for play based learning the blog is fantastic and there are some amazing ideas.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)