Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Seaside Challenges

Hi everyone! Hope you're enjoying the Easter half term!

My next topic is Seaside. Does anyone have any suggestions for challenges linking to this topic for any continuous provision area (Year 1)

Thanks in advance

Guest LornaW

Ncmarsden is your school near the seaside? If so I would take a walk there for the day, regardless of the weather, and let them get a eal fell for the beach and the sea. Take masses of photos and let the children also take photos so these can be discussed back at school. Lots of curriculum aras covered I the seaside, history, geography jump to mind first of all and there is a great company called History off the page who do a wonderful seaside day

http://www.historyoffthepage.co.uk/courses/seaside.htm

Then you need as big a role play area as possible that is a sandpit and the children can get into it build sandcastle, measure weigh and discover the properties of sand. I did this a few years ago using a large paddling pool the childe loved it. We had sand, shells, pebbles water etc.

You can also do lots of work on capacity wi water, make ice lollies, seaside gifts, look at artists who have used the seaside, design and pack a picnic for the beach the list goes on. It is a great topic good luck

LornaW

ah seaside........ gentle lapping of the waves, squawking seagulls circling the blue sky, warm sun gently caressing your skin, sand enveloping your feet whilst you sip on a little something :P ..........don't you just want to be there right now?.... take all them on a trip and bring it to life! xD

Bring in a couple of real fish for the children to handle and look at and compare. We usually put them in the builders tray on a bed of ice. Some children are really wary and others will open its mouth to look for teeth! They also don't realise that the fish in their fishfingers and fishcakes comes from a real fish! Lots of UW learning and a really fun activity :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)