Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Fairies and elves topic

Hello, following children's Tree Fu Tom obsession we are learning through the theme of fairies and elves next term. I have a few ideas involving outdoor play but not sure how to bring it inside too. Thinking elves and shoe maker as a story link.Tree Fu Tom also uses big magic so will try and link science experiments in through this. Any tried and tested ideas out there though?

it is rather lovely panders...i was even debating trying to get some funding together to go for it! I saw the perfect spot for a fairy day today too whilst i was walking Finley. There was an old tree over just down the road which had created two tunnels with its branches big enough for an adult to get through...perfick! :wub:

it is rather lovely panders...i was even debating trying to get some funding together to go for it! I saw the perfect spot for a fairy day today too whilst i was walking Finley. There was an old tree over just down the road which had created two tunnels with its branches big enough for an adult to get through...perfick! :wub:

Would you be able to get together with any other nurseries in the area if you have good links with them or a couple of reception classes you feed into if the area you have found is large enough

A few things that i have tried are.....

sticking fairy doors onto the skirting boards and children investigate where the fairies went to by following glitter trails and see what they have been up to. HAlf the time you don't need to 'plant' anything because the children make it up themselves "oh i know what they've been up to, they left all the lids off the pens....turned the water green etc".

The second thing i have done is left secret fairy messages around the room, sometimes asking them to do challenges...but the motes are so tiny that they can only be read with magnifying glasses....a very small font on the computer does this.

Hope they help

I bought a fairy door at a craft fair and excitedly stuck it on the wall by the skirting board and planted a few fairies around it as a provocation.Unfortunately it did not go accordingly to plan. There was great interest but they kept trying to rip it off the wall to open it. I explained that only fairies could go through it as it was a magic door. I got a collective "humph" and off all the children went.

I had been so excited - am working up the courage to try again with a back story so thank for the idea of a glitter trail etc Rufus.

Guest LornaW

I have a set of keys that I bought from Mindstretchers. One is huge for say a giant, a set of medium sized keys that look like a housekeeper may have had in Downton Abbey and finally a tiny set which would be perfect for a fairy theme! Moly piper I know this is a little extreme but could you draw the fairy door and then ask the caretaker to drill a small hole for a tiny key to fit in? Leave a ail of fairy dust with a key at the end of it but nowhere near the door and then the children will need to problem solve...

LornaW

Wow thank you all, some great ideas to inspire. I love the door idea and shall be off to hobby craft shortly to look at dolls house bits. Great idea about using a small font for letters too. Great website as well!!! I wonder if I could get them in too, will put my persuasive hat on!

Would you be able to get together with any other nurseries in the area if you have good links with them or a couple of reception classes you feed into if the area you have found is large enough

Good idea panders...we have a local school which might be interested ...i'll have a think.

As to susan's question re boys....we seem to have a group who rather like peter pan, doesn't seem to be too difficult to transfer affections....but this is the current cohort i have had groups before where this activity would not have gone down well!!

Guest LornaW

As to susan's question re boys....we seem to have a group who rather like peter pan, doesn't seem to be too difficult to transfer affections....but this is the current cohort i have had groups before where this activity would not have gone down well!!

Which is why it is so important to KNOW our children!

LornaW

HI

I used an 'elf on the shelf', just before Christmas, I hid him in lots of places and the children loved to find him each day, all of the children were happy to send him little letters and had lots of questions to ask. Some people use their elf all year round and if you google elf on the shelf ideas there are lots to inspire.

hope this is of use. x

http://www.elfontheshelf.com/

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)