Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Thrass Phonics

Hi has anyone heard of Thrass phonics or use it in their school? I just wanted to get an idea of what it is like as I have never heard of it and it is used at a school I am applying to work in x

It was used by my son's school about 14 years ago in place of Letterland, but I didnt notice any difference between how either of my lads learnt. They dont use it now they stopped some time ago and went onto Jolly Phonics I believe. I think its from Australia.

Oh no I was hoping it was going to be good! :blink: I thought it was good because it used the letter names first not the sound and so doesn't confuse children?

We have used Thrass in our school for several years - initially the scheme was followed but as time has passed we have adapted our teaching and now use Letters and Sounds with the Thrass chart mainly used as a supporting resource. We do find the chart very useful for early writing, so when a child segments a word into phonemes they can go to the phoneme box and choose a grapheme. When we introduce a phoneme, we do introduce the 'phoneme box' with the grapheme picture cards, but we do emphasise the grapheme that they need to learn first and I always tell them that there are other ways of writing the sound. This does allow has to cater for a range of abilities and the bright little boy in my group always says "Can I learn all of them?"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)