Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Interview for EYFS post next week

Hi everyone,

I have got an interview next week for an EYFS teaching post, I have to deliver a twenty minute activity about anything to a small group of children. I was thinking about teaching about seeds growing into plants and what plants need to grow. Then allowing the children to each plan their own seed and water it etc. The only thing I am concerned about is fitting it all into twenty minutes. I think practical learning is very important though so really want to do a fun, practical activity.

Any ideas, suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you

Thank you Lorna,

I will definitely have a look at those websites. Yes, I am worrying that I am trying to fit too much into a very short amount of time, but you are right, I do want it to have to wow factor. I really appreciate your feedback. It's my first ever interview as a soon to be NQT so I am feeling very nervous and unsure of what to expect.

Thanks again

Bex

Hello everyone,

Sorry to post again. I am just looking for more advice. I have started to consider that I should use a story as a starting point, I know the school really embrace the use of stories, also, as Lorna pointed out, I am a little worried about fitting everything in for seed planting in twenty minutes. However, considering the term the children are in I do want to provide an activity with a bit of a challenge. Sorry to post again, any advice would be much appreciated. I am feeling very nervous about my first interview!

Thank you in advance for any help or advice.

Bex x

How many children will you be doing this with? If its 5 children then I think you will be able to plant seeds in that time and talk to them about what plants need to grow while they are planting. You will be pushed to do a story then an activity in an activity?

It's a group of approximately 10 children. I have had a new idea, been flitting from idea to idea to try and work out what will be best. I thought I could dress up as a farmer and say that my farm animals have escaped, have the children help me find them, counting them, working out how many more we need to find etc. Using questioning for lot's of language and as an extension get them to write number sentences to work out how many animals there are all together. It's just so difficult to know what I will be able to fit in in just twenty minutes.

Thank you for your feedback!!

I would make it 'wow' and fun rather than worrying too much about learning objectives. It's only 20 minutes and you don't know the children yet. Do you have any personal interests that you are passionate about, eg dance, sport, baking, drama ....? You could share your interest with the children, bring in some props, get the children involved and up and moving. If it's something you love, your enthusiasm will shine through and the children will be motivated.

Guest LornaW

popcornpie is spot on! Do something you love something that went well on your teaching practice so it is something you are familiar with and your enthusiasm shines though!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)