Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Wow factor

HI I have an interview on Tuesday for a job I really want and the focus is literacy (or maths) and I want to do it outside, I have 14 children 11 reception and 3 from Nursery altogether with a wide range of abilities. I want to do something interactive and hands on that includes all children. I was thinking of either the gruffello and getting them masks and acting out the story and joining in (but then Im not sure how much challange I can do with this or if it has the wow factor) or We are going on a bear hunt and literally go on a bear hunt outside and have the trays with all the different obstacles in but then I may not keep all 14 engagaed? what do you think?

Thats tremendous, Lorna, thanks for that! Ive had a real good laugh.

Katherine, you need to choose something that you feel really passionate about and then you will have the wow factor.

I had great results with an alien hunt outside and then writing a story BUT I knew the children and it was part of our space topic, I also knew they hadnt done that before! Can you think outside the box a bit?

Good luck.

Im struggling to think outside the box! I really like the idea of making it purposeful but I also would like to involve a story and drama and get the children moving .... if anyone has any ideas it would be great thanks

What about if I send a letter to the class from the bear in the bear hunt asking them to be his friend? And I take them on a 'Bear Hunt' outside repeating the story as we go through the various obsticles?

Guest LornaW

KatherineH when you don't know the children and they don't know you AND they are mixed aged make it fun, active and using the outdoor physical. What about parachute games or ribbon dancing or bubble blowing and bubble writing? All will be fun and your objective could be physical dev and PSED. There are bubble wands in Morrisons for 50p and they have so many wonderful uses!

LornaW

It has to be LIT or MATHS. I thought if we go on a 'Bear Hunt' outside it will be fun and active the things they will learn are as follows:

• 22-36 – Repeats words or phases from familiar stories
  • 30-50 – Listens to and joins in with stories and suggest how stories might end
  • 40-60 - Begins to read words and simple sentences
Then I can also have 'obsticles' with the words "deep cold river" and "swishy swashy" and we can say the story together as we go around then when we 'see the bear' they can make up the end.. what do you think?

Hi I was going to have the things just in trays as the obstables in the story ie. grass, fake snow, water etc. not actual obstacles and walk around them doing some actions?

Hi Katherine,

I just wonder how many times these children will already have heard/acted out/sung/made this type of activity at Nursery?? I know these stories are fab and well known - my concern would be whether the children would all be engaged enough if they have already done this type of activity previously. Perhaps it might be beter to choose something that you are sure these children won't have done too many times previously if you want to 'stand out from the crowd'?

I do think that 'thinking outside the box' is the answer - choose something different that these children may not have done before! How about painting with water - you could focus on either maths or literacy here - painting shapes - differentiate with the ages - let them show you what they know - or give them clues - can you paint me a shape with 3 sides? Can you paint a BIG shape/small shape - can you paint me something inside/outside this shape. Can you paint me a shape big enough for us all to stand inside? Sounds simple I know - but it covers all charecteristics of effective learning and will probably keep them all engaged! Or....how about something a bit Forest Schooly (sorry - my passion!!) - take in a huge bag of sticks (in case their playground doesn't have any) and let them write their names with sticks - you know - acutally make their names on the floor using sticks. "What sound does your name begin with?" Or....make shapes with sticks...or make a shaped stick picture frame on the floor (let them choose what shapes they want to make - again good differentiation) and then let them use natural materials to make a picture inside - or if they lack natural materials let them chalk a picture inside. Guaranteed to kep them all busy - whatever their abiltiy/age/learning style/gender. Always a good plenary - listen as a group to each other's story about their picture.

Most importanlty - it's all easy to set up and easy to clear up - you really don't want to be stressed about setting up trays with stuff in for an interview - and the staff there will probably not want to have to clear it all up afterwards either!

Hope it all goes well - most importantly have fun and make sure the tiddlies do to!

• Like 1

Well the old ones are the best - it went very well and the children were very engaged (1 the most they have ever seen!) and I got the job! :D

• 1 month later...

im thinking of doing this for my interview too, but worried i might need time to get the children's shoes on etc as i want them to feel everything with their feet. However I thought of just making everything shallow and at the end they could wipe their shoes really well. I want everybody engsged and doing!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)