Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Teaching reading in a day nursery

Hi there,

I was wondering if any one knew if we are allowed to teach reading in a day nursery, in our pre school room, we have several children who are more than capable and excited to start reading simple books. I and several other members of staff have EYPS but am not sure if this qualifies us to do "proper" reading with the children. Does any one else use rainbow stage books at nursery and to be sent home, if so are there any you recommend?

Thanks for you help

You dont need any specific qualification to 'teach' reading. We use the oxford reading tree, making sure they can read the characters names before giving them a book.

Do you have the letters and sounds document? This could help you with ideas on what to do

However the 'teaching' is done it should still be play based and fun and only if the children want to do it

Edited by Rachael1820

What is the letters and sounds document? I've been a Childcare practitioner in a full day care nursery for nearly 13 years and never heard of this?

I use a number of books for guided reading including big cats. If you want to know some of the others I could look tomorrow. I usually have a group of 4ish and we read the book together. Fantastic books as repetetive refrain andchildren think they are reading. Teaches left to right tracking, concept of a word etc. I have done some basic courses on this. Parents said children took off in Reception after reading these.

that would be great thanks its always interesting and useful to know how other practitioners approach this and the resources they use?

Maybe you could approach your feeder schools and ask them how they would like you to proceed? I'm not teaching reading to my pre-schoolers, I also teach in Reception one day a week at our feeder school and in the past there they don't get reading books until the October half term, they have to all learn there letter sounds and start on digraphs first. They've just stared using read write inc. I did suggest that I start my pre-schoolers off on some of the rhymes that go with the letters but they've asked I leave it so it's all fresh when they start school.

• Like 1

Our feeder schools didn't want us to 'teach reading' and as an ex-reception teacher I totally understand this as it can be a nightmare when children arrive in reception some of whom are reading jolly phonics, some are all ORT and some are starshine readers!! I always taught from 'real books' anyway - not a scheme, just lovely picture books, non fiction books, comics (SSH!), chapter books - all of which were 'sorted' by me into approximate difficulty levels (very approximate). Children could choose from any box and if they chose 'above' themselves I wrote in their reading record "Here is a lovely book for Mummy to read to me at bedtime", if it was a bit tricky "Here is a lovely book to share", and if it was spot on "Here is the book I am going to read to you tonight", if it was too easy "I've brought this one home, just for fun!". At my nursery we don't send home reading books, but we still talk about books all the time to whichever children want to listen. Letters and sounds is the way to go tho!

pw x

• Like 4

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)