Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Technology

Hi all

Am finding that too many children are not where they could be in this area or staff are saying that have not made an assessment here. We plan for this every week so looking into if we are just not 'writing' the observations down as a start, however I feel the area/provision is boring.

Can I ask what others do in this area? what sort of resources do you have as continuous provision? and inspired ideas that you would be willing to share?

many thanks

we are nursery and have a technology trolley for children to freely access and it's always full!! on it are:

different paper/mark-making tools

staplers/hole punch/scissors

glue sticks/selotape and masking tape on dispensers

string in plastic pocket thing on wall with hole so they can pull out string and cut independently

variety of collage materials

box of junk modelling under it which they can pull out whenever

lids (good for buttons to turn model on off etc or wheels

they also move bits from elsewhere to use! probably more but can't recall ...

when i had reception we had similar but children able to use much more independently and had/have pictures/photos etc for stimulus.

which statement are you struggling on? boys are desperate to access area and forces them to put name on work/model so writing for a purpose as boys not always so keen to write!!

I think our biggest problem is its happening but staff are recording it under other areas of learning and forgetting about technology, for example we have a free choice craft trolley where they can access craft, small equipment, paper, junk modelling stuff, glue, glitter, paint, scissor etc... but this get recorded a lot of the time under creative arts or maybe language. When I talk about technology the staff refer to the computer!! which is part of it but not all

I think I agree with your staff Johanna1. The new EYFS Technology is about computers. It's about toys which need technology to make them work, or household items which need gears or pulleys. It's about programmable toys. To be honest thinking about this today I think the statements and the goal are particularly behind the times these days. I am aware that some children may not come across technology until they get to school, i.e. access to computers, but they will be in the minority now I think and could very quickly be brought up to speed on using computer mouse etc. The statements don't really stretch today's child who uses ipads smartphones and the like from almost the moment they can sit up and and push a button! I suspect that the next incarnation of EYFS will have to address this in some way.

• Like 4

if you mean design technology it's now in expressive arts and design - EUMM. so it's easy to mix with creative i guess. we write areas of learning covered by post-it observation and tick off on tracker so we know we've got some sort of evidence. and most cover at least 2 areas, often more .........x

I think this has been the confusion, I mean technology as in the new EYFS so computers, cameras, things that make things happen but I think although we have used them they have been 'filed' under cause and effect, or language or experimenting with ways of expressing themselves, not necessarily under technology. The staff have said to day that they forget that it isn't just the computer, but camera etc... I know in the book it says have torches, programmable toys etc.. and we have this but it just 'feels' to me so boring and it isn't inspiring the children at all.

I think you are right Panders maybe that is why I find it uninspiring because it is outdated. Also we don't have access to the internet (and there is no way for us to get it I have checked) so we are at a disadvantage there. We have children who have their own wii, playstation, DS, ipad and so a simple game on the computer means nothing, so it is how to get them interested as well as the ones who don't have anything!!!

For the ones that have so much it is not challenging enough and we are relying on what parents say to help the obs, but for the ones who don't have anything they are not interested so again we don't seem to get the observations!!!

Just wondered what everybody else had

My class love using the easispeak microphones to record songs, stories etc.

Ours like that too, but sadly playback through microphone has gone and we must have broken it. It still records and I can down load onto computer though.

Another thing they are into at the moment is our big digital photo frame they like going off with the camera and then looking at their photos on it, but you could do something similar and sequence things like telling a story, and photographing their written words in between photos would that engage some - assuming you had a digital frame that is! Do you have bee bots ours like those too there are lots of things you can do with those. We strapped pens to them the other day And the children spent ages programming them and making their patterns. Does your school have a video camera they could use? We also have a talking photo album which the children use from time to time. Talking tins too but they really are past their best now.

Edited by Panders
  • Like 1

we have a set of talking pegs at the moment (TTS) i record messages on them and 'plant them ' aroud the room....suspect these will get used lots but still new. Also we use lots of defunct items like old computers/mobile phones/cameras etc in play ,,,,you can stiil tell if a child knows how to use them even f they don't work!!

Edited by finleysmaid

voice changers from amazon/maplins £10 are great. have 10 or so voice effect buttons. like a loud hailer.

talking tins - can record and play back.

taking photos with your digital cameras?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)