Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Outdoor resources - ideas needed please

Hi

We have a small outdoor area that currently consists of 3 large wall mounted blackboards!

We have had a lot of our equipment destroyed by mice as they have ate there way through it!

We now need to replenish but committee are refusing to give a budget for this as feel we will just have the same issue again so I am on the hint for cheap/free ideas that I can use to replenish it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks

Do you have room for a mud pie kitchen? I think items for this should be old and used things. Finleysmaid had a fantastic table for nothing which she begged from some workers at the side of a road it was a big wooden cable holder now it is upturned and become a table for outside. Some garages will let you have old tyres. Milk man might let you have a few crates. We don't have any smart fancy equipment for outside at all most of what we use has to be stored in the boot of my car because we cannot have a shed so I take things in and store things in my garage at home. We have den making stutt and use old airers to support it. And big tuff clips from b and q, we have traffic cones, bubbles planks of wood plastic drainpipes and guttering for cars to run down etc. we take our water tray outside we put up plastic tubing and funnels to cascade water we take brushes outside to paint fences with water, we have big foam jigsaw type tiles with numbers and letters on, all these things you can beg and borrow or get cheaply from car boot sales and the like.

Also if you have an Internet search for 'loose parts' you should find lots of ideas for using materials like this. From my experience it gives lots more imaginative play opportunities and supports language development. The biggest issue people have is usually 'selling' it to their management but if the committee have said no budget you've got that bit sorted!

We too have many of the things Panders mentioned, and our mud kitchen has been resourced by the parents and grandparents donations! One parent even brought me a bag of top soil from Aldi this week when she saw it for £2!!!!

We also have lots of large empty fabric conditioner type bottles, funnels and jugs that are very popular.

Our old home corner stuff is also used outside for the home corner out there or for cages etc.

An old hose pipe cut in to manageable lengths is also well used.

Hope you can find some of these inspiring but cheap resources for your children!

Lots of natural items can be sourced from any woods, or forest in your area. Twigs, branches leaves for den making. Can you put up a request for items you might like/ need. We are continually amazed by the generosity and the mixture of people whom seem to know or can source items for us. All legitimately of course.

Have you got a free recycle website in your area, great things can be found on them too.

Good luck with this and have fun.:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)