Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Home Corner

Hi,

When I last had my own class (FS) 5 yrs ago we had a home corner but changed it every half term into a different role play area eg dentist, clinic, vet etc whatever was of interest or topic.

Now I am being given the impression that the home corner should stay permanently as a house in order to offer continuity to the children (nursery) throughout the year and should just be changed into different rooms. Any other role play should be an 'extra' to, and not in place of, the house.

Is this the general view? I don't really have room for another role play area (apart from small role play on the carpet eg Whatever next box and contents) and I like to really go to town on a role play area so need the space where the house is.

What do you think? I am inclined to do what I have done in the past and change it.

I am lucky enough to have room to have a permanent home corner and another role play area which we change every 2 or 3 weeks. We also have one outside sometimes. It is lovely to watch the children go from 1 area to the other lin king them together with their play. EG they go to the shops and then take their shopping home.

Guest tinkerbell

hi megsmum

I am like with you ,have very limited space ,I started with a home corner and now have a supermarket!

The thinking is that you should have both so children can return to the homecorner to work out any 'issues'etc.We are fortunate to have a 'wendy house' outside and I have home corner furniture etc in there now.

Could you do something like this or have a big box of 'home stuff'which could be brought out now and again?

Tinkerbell

Hi Megsmum, last year within nursery we had a bear cave, post office, shop, secret garden and a jungle. We planned on a thematic curriculum and the children loved it . I personally find the children get bored with the 'home corner' being based on a home. We just made our home corner a habitiat corner and looked at other cultures/animals homes.

Jacqui x

since we're on the subject of homecorners

the homecorner in my classroom frequently makes me want to tear my hair out!!!!!

I find keeping it organised and relatively tidy almost impossible, everything ends up on the floor, we have colour coded spaces for plates etc to go, photographs on cupboards to show where other equipment goes, does anyone else have a similar problem, does anyone have any advice or photos of their successful home corners?

Thanks

Should you change the home corner or not? I think it depends on the age of your children. Generally speaking younger children (under 4) spend more time in the home corner. If you are having new children starting on a regular basis then it is a good idea to keep some form of home corner as I think it is frequently the first thing new children are drawn to.

If however you have a settled intake and there aren't likely to be many new starters then it does make sense to change things around - Cafe is very popular ( I have in the past combined it with inviting the parents to come and cook dishes with the children which has been very successful)

At our centre we have two role play areas, one will stay as home corner the other will change to provide stimulation for children's imagination over the year. We cater to a wide range of children from 0-6.

So I think the answer is (as so often) it depends on your children. If they are clearly getting bored with the old home corner, then change it around. If you can provide two areas then great.

This term I have noticed that our home corner is hardly being used. The older children have gone to school and we have a large number of only just 2 year olds. They like playdough, painting, sand, water and gluing and are not very interested in the home corner yet. One or two of the girls carry 'babies' with them but don't venture into the 'house'. I am keeping the home corner in place for at least a half term in the hope that they will go into it because I think it is one of the best areas for imaginative play. Even with a member of staff in there, they only stay for a minute and then they are off to do something else - but at that age they do tend to 'flit' from one thing to another don't they?

We only have room for one large role play area and it is mostly home corner, although sometimes it's a supermarket, hospital, cave or shoe shop.

Same as you, Basilbrush when the home corner is in full use it is usually a mess!! Children step on things and don't pick things up - sometimes I comment on the 'mess' but as they are having a wonderful time and totally engrossed, imagination in full flow, I don't say anything.

Sue J

Hi Sue and Basil Brush (I can't believe I just typed that)

This doesn't always work but I've used a laminated check lists with the children at tidy up times/when the house is wrecked. The list has things like:

babies in cots

plates on shelf

table ready for tea for three teddies

and so on.

I turn up and knock on the door either as the cleaner or the h&s lady 'It's dangerous if things are on the floor and I'll have to close your house' Children then work through list (picture clues) ticking as they tidy. It needs quite a lot of adult input initially (oh, okay, most of the time with some) but does appeal to some children. You can develop it to include counting/recognizing number symbols, developing fine motor skills, etc.

Barb

I am lucky enough to have room to have a permanent home corner and another role play area which we change every 2 or 3 weeks. We also have one outside sometimes. It is lovely to watch the children go from 1 area to the other lin king them together with their play. EG they go to the shops and then take their shopping home.

38648[/snapback]

I'm glad you realise how lucky you are! How lovely for your children to be able to build up their role play on multiple sites!

Maz

Thanks for all you replies, I have decided to keep it as a home corner for the moment as I have quite a number of 3 yr olds (mind you it's the 3 bears home at the moment :D ). I'll vary the inside though through the weeks.

Towards Christmas I'm thinking of a post office, partly for Christmas and partly because I want to revamp the writing/mark making area and a post office might encourage them to use the writing area more. All the children will be 4 after Christmas.

After Christmas - who knows at the moment, but not a home corner! When the children move into P1 they will have a home corner again cos that seems to be all the teacher there provides :o

Love the idea of laminated check lists :)

Thanks again :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)