Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Phonics in pre-schools

Hi all,

Our setting caters for children aged from 2yrs until they go to school. We currently focus solely on Phase 1 phonics and use a lot of the activities in the letters and sounds document.

One of our children attends another setting in addition to ours. She turned 3 last November. I have just asked them to complete a sheet detailing her next steps and they said they want to extend her knowledge of phonics such as the initial sound of words. With us, she shows no interest in phonics but does love mark-making which we strongly encourage.

So, I was just wondering are we not doing enough with just focussing on phase 1?

If they were showing an interest then this would be different, but ours are still engaged and enjoying and learning from phase 1 activities.

I don't want to push the children to far?

We have 4 children moving to school this summer so I don't want them to be too far behind their peers

Any advise most welcome!

it's in the 40-60+ band. expectation on entry to reception is emerging in 40-60+ band, so children expected to demonstrate some of the elements of skill, knowledge and understanding within the development matters band for 40–60+. i would say it's one of the easier ones to achieve in the band in reading (and it's in writing too). when we are playing the games we model alliteration and initial sound so that children are given the opportunity to be stretched. but we have only got 4 out of 23 secure of the children moving on to reception in september. last years lot were much better x

As a teacher in reception, I find the children who achieve high on profile have had a lot of focus on phase one. I can only hope all nurseries spend as much time as you on this important stage. Please keep up the fantastic work you are doing and you are right not to push if child not ready. It doesn't help in long run

• Like 1

We have one child working beyond phase one.

Just this past week he has begun not only dong initial sounds, but ending sounds and some middle letter sounds too!

Because in nursery we take our lead from the children this little chap was busy doing something the others weren't!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)