Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Development Matters ... again!

Any comments?

'Separates a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same' - 30-50m (My children really struggle with this! Can anyone suggest any good, tried and tested, fun activities to help with this?)

Yet many find ... 'Counts objects to 10, and beginning to count beyond 10' - 40-60+m relatively easy at 30-50m! ...

and ...

compare 'Knows that information can be retrieved from computers' (UW: T 30-50m)

with 'Knows that information can be retrieved from books and computers' (L: R 40-60+m)

For the UW statement we have recently used things like watching animals in Africa on africam, 'googling' pirates and volcano pictures and watching you tube videos to learn the gangham style dance.

The Literacy statement has been covered recently by 'reading' recipes during cookery (finding out what ingredients are needed and how to make the cakes), looking up a bird that landed in the garden (it was a seagull but the children looked through the bird book to find it), finding out how long ago dinosaurs lived and using a catalogue to order sainsburys voucher toys (ie how many vouchers did we need for a specific item)

I agree that the statement from maths is tricky but if they don't get it then I'm not going to focus on it, just note if any of the children who do demonstrate this knowledge

ok ...in order and only IMO!!

1.....seem to do this with cars and snack stuff!! really just working out that if you start with 4 and you put them in a different garage then when they come back to the car park then you still have four!! or knowing that they need 3 bits of snack ...one from each bowl...so they have three in the end (does that make sense???)

2....counting objects to 10 is a bit more complicated then it sounds...i would say the child needs to be able to find 10 objects to do this and then conserve that number...ie if i asked them to get 10 cups they would only get 10. They would have to use their number knowledge to remember that 10 is the magic number where they have to stop.

3....knowing info from computers...where could we find some info about ladybirds....the laptop (those sort of conversations)

4....this is about non fiction books too

Separates a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same' - 30-50m

This is about conservation of number, quantity, calculation (number bonds) and subitising.

Whilst counting skills may be in place, they need to develop their calculation application skills or they don't get the later mathematical application skills required for the ELG

Separates a group of three or four objects in different ways, beginning to recognise that the total is still the same' - 30-50m

This is about conservation of number, quantity, calculation (number bonds) and subitising.

Whilst counting skills may be in place, they need to develop their calculation application skills or they don't get the later mathematical application skills required for the ELG

Yes I agree. We do this by arranging things in different patterns, so the spots on a dice pattern, or a number line pattern, there's still four or whatever, so they have to be able to understand that three chocolates is still three if they are in a line, or a triangle shape, or whatever.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)