Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What does this look like in your setting ... ...

... ... and how do you develop this?

Extends vocabulary, especially by grouping and naming, exploring the meaning and sounds of new words.

We play games such as how many things can we name that fly, we can ride on, things we can see at the seaside, things in the kitchen, things that are shiny etc. these are games that last a few minutes only and are generally done so that we don't have long queues forming to wash hands or put coats on when a child has offered a word they go.

We discuss what new words we think they may not have heard before at story time or when any occasion arises. One of my little boys "collects" new words and loves long words, yesterday it was symmetrical because we were doing symmetrical blob paintings

Very much the same as Panders :1b

Lots from books/stories - when reading The Very Hungry caterpillar we would for example ask what apples, pears, plums, strawberries and oranges are - and hope that the answer 'fruit' comes back :D we might then think about any other fruit that we know.......

I love exploring new words with the children! :1b

" ive got all the animals she's got all the fish" or even ive' got all the big green ones and he's got the little blue ones......Etc

exploring words... have a little boy who often asks me what words mean and then uses them....it was initially and absolutely this week! but i find often words from stories are used.I had a boy today who discovered two names at the snack table that sounded very similar....he mouthed them several times...obviously working oout that the sounds were the same

• Like 1

" ive got all the animals she's got all the fish" or even ive' got all the big green ones and he's got the little blue ones......Etc

exploring words... have a little boy who often asks me what words mean and then uses them....it was initially and absolutely this week! but i find often words from stories are used.I had a boy today who discovered two names at the snack table that sounded very similar....he mouthed them several times...obviously working oout that the sounds were the same

Great observation!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)