Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

can copy some letters - advice

another development matters query - it's physical development - moving and handling

• can copy some letters e.g. letters from their name

what are you expecting? - it's obviously about fine motor and the having the control to copy letters, but recognisable letters is in 40-60, as is beginnings of correct formation

I think the difference here lies in the how they do it - not what they do - I would only mark them in 40-60 physical if they had a good and consistent correct pencil grip with good control over the pencil and paper, making recognisable letters/shapes with the correct level of pressure on the pencil/pen .

how clear should letters be for 30-50? i recognise them and child keen to write, just couple of letters clear, but i can see has attempted name, and which letter is which, though someone else wouldn't be able to!

I would put this as developing as I would expect others to recognise the letters to say it was secure. As it is in physical as redjayne has said I would also be looking at how they handle the pencil and what control they have. After all it isn't about just ticking boxes but giving a clear assessment for the reception teacher to know at what point the child is coming into reception at.

Sx

I often look at these types of skills by 'working backwards' - so for this particular one I know that the children who are working within 40-60 will be able to write their own name, probably some other names or parts of names or familiar words e.g. 'mum', brothers/sisters names etc without a prompt of the letter on the paper or directly in-front of them e.g. they 'know' what the letter looks like without being reminded and can form that letter themselves (but not necessarily yet correctly formed). Therefore, to be secure in the 30-50, I would work back from this, so they would be forming letters which you can see are letters but they need that extra prompt in-front of them in order for them to make them recognisable - they would not always look like letters without that prompt.

As others have said, this is all alongside how they hold and handle a pencil/other writing equipment.

Green Hippo x

I often look at these types of skills by 'working backwards' - so for this particular one I know that the children who are working within 40-60 will be able to write their own name, probably some other names or parts of names or familiar words e.g. 'mum', brothers/sisters names etc without a prompt of the letter on the paper or directly in-front of them e.g. they 'know' what the letter looks like without being reminded and can form that letter themselves (but not necessarily yet correctly formed). Therefore, to be secure in the 30-50, I would work back from this, so they would be forming letters which you can see are letters but they need that extra prompt in-front of them in order for them to make them recognisable - they would not always look like letters without that prompt.

As others have said, this is all alongside how they hold and handle a pencil/other writing equipment.

Green Hippo x

that sounds sensible. sometimes you tie yourself up in knots and moderating other staff's assessments can open a can of worms....!!!!! it's nice to share ideas here as no one knowledgeable about early years at my school, and looking through development matters not at all useful - only really mentions gross motor. thanks so much x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)