Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What is going on when children start writing their names from right to

I run a Pre-school and this year in particular I have noticed two of my children writing their names from right to left. I wouldn't be too worried, but these are children who used to be able to write their names from left to right. Has anyone else experienced this?

y god daughter did it from the age of about 6 I think, always wrote left to right before that. I think she did it for a couple of years. I dont recall her teacher being worried by it, just amused. She also refused to wear her shoes on the correct feet for many years. She's my god daughter too, I saw her last night, she's a lovely young woman and pretty normal now :rolleyes: :D

I've just read the link, she used to write the letters backwards too, I'd forgotten that!

Edited by Rea

If they start near the right hand side of the paper they logically write into the space (i.e. right to left) for most children this is simply them starting in a position where there is no room to the right, I would show them their name card and congratulate them on getting all the right letters but explain that (in English) we read left to right and also write that way too. Next time they are going to be writing their name on something try to note where they start and help them find a good starting point where there will be space for them to write to the right. This will probably be enough to get them back on track especially if they have previously had no problem with name writing.

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)