Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

to summary or not to summary

Hi all

I have been looking at our learning journey's (as one of my other threads shows) but now thinking after chatting with the reception teachers and having a look at what county recommends, I may not do summary sheets at the end of each term and save this as a report like document at the end of the year, which is what the schools do. Obviously we will make clear links to learning as it happens across the term and compile next steps so there will be evidence of progress, but we will be function more like the schools do and the work load maybe more realistic.

just wondered what others thought or if anyone functions like this and if it works in pre-school environment?

Hi - we don't do summary sheets/reports until whenever it is that a child leaves the setting

to be honest with the introduction of the 2 yr check some of mine have only just had that report done, and if so I haven't even done another report even though they are leaving!

I volunteer in 2 of my feeder schools and they have both said they don't know why we bother with them - they can tell what the child likes to do/where they are at from their learning journey's and as for what they aren't so good at, well you don't put that in writing anyway we just tell the teacher when they visit!

I know in some circumstances reports are needed, but I do wonder who we do them for - school, parent or Ofsted :ph34r:

• Like 2

yeah that was my thought. I haven't decided on whether they should be done yearly or just when they leave I think probably I will do seven areas yearly but I may only report on COL's when they leave. (again these will be picked out and referred to as the observations go along) I have a sheet where I can just record development band with emerging and secure to show progression through the band and feel this may be enough. Not the reason for doing it but it will also help the staff who are amazing with the kids and learning journeys but find the report writing more of struggle.

how does everybody do their moderation though? looking to change that too lol :ph34r:

oh good glad I am not the only one!! :P

so louby loo will you do one each year for all children or do them like thumperrabbit and just when they leave??

so if you have children for two years (like we do when they join term of their third birthday) you wouldn't do them the year they stay with you but the year they go to school?

Not sure about that.... I shall see what staff think tomorrow (well that might be next term now :D )

I'm thinking though maybe just when they leave........... although that said the school have said they do not want them anyway.

During the last half term the children make very basic transition books, which they take with them on their pre-school to school visit.

The schools love these, so may just go with that!

We have tracking sheets for each child, and each child has an on-going LJ, so I am asking myself 'why are we making all this work for ourselves?'

• Like 1

Not sure about that.... I shall see what staff think tomorrow (well that might be next term now :D )

I'm thinking though maybe just when they leave........... although that said the school have said they do not want them anyway.

During the last half term the children make very basic transition books, which they take with them on their pre-school to school visit.

The schools love these, so may just go with that!

We have tracking sheets for each child, and each child has an on-going LJ, so I am asking myself 'why are we making all this work for ourselves?'

Just what I think too - reports are just repeating what is inside the Learning Journey which our schools do take and do look at.

What do you have in your basic transition books? I'm liking the sound of them :1b

• Like 1

The books are very basic, loose leaf......... so no child has blank pages if not yet at that ability.

consists of

this is me = drawing

this is my family = drawing

this is how I write my name

things I like doing = key worker fills this bit out- child's interests etc.

I know this shapes -

I can draw these shapes (interesting one :D )

I recognise these numbers (1-5/10/20 depending on ability)

Cut and stick type activity

Various other things, little bits get added each year

Child does this 100% on their own, encouraged to work on book but not 'forced' too..... if they really aren't interested it may just have a page or two.

We add - left/right handed, the type of grip used.

The child takes this with them when they go on there class visits a give to the teacher

We do get parent/carer permission before giving it, and the schools give the book back in September.

Feedback from the schools is good, saying they like that it's basic, and just gives a 'heads up' to current skills.

The schools have been very honest saying they really do not have the time to read through all the LJ, they used to ask for a short summary- but now just want the booklets :1b

We are very strict about it being the child's own work though.... and will be honest sometimes key-persons want to 'help' the child- but that's a complete no-no!!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)