Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Do we need a separate sink for washing hands and for food and for craf

Guest Spiral

We are currently making good our poor old kitchen.

We would like to put in a double wash basin which would enable us to have one sink for food prep and one for handwashing....do we need another sink for craft or can we double up the hand washing basin as a craft one too?

We really don't have space/funds/water pressure for more than two sinks so I'm worried.

Thank you

Spiral :-)

We were visited by our local Environmental Health Officer after our Village Hall committee refurbished our kitchen. We only had one sink and the EHO was quite happy provided I made it clear to staff (and the committee put up notices for hall hirers) that the sink must only be used for one purpose at a time. She also said that using a bowl was a good idea because it could be used to clean the dishes in (or paint pots!) but could be removed so the sink could be used for hand washing.

She did say though, that had she been visiting before the kitchen was installed, that she would recommend putting a double sink in.

All of that said, I'd be willing to bet that what you're told depends on the EHO and how sensible they are! :ph34r:

I think you're right HappyMaz. We only have one sink in our kitchen and I had to buy a little portable sink to use for handwashing. Our EHO said that one of the dangers is that some people may see the kitchen sink is being used and rather than wash their hands elsewhere, they just don't bother.

The little sink we bought is from a company called Kiddiwash. You fill up a tank on the back with warm water. The sink part has a drainage hole and the used water drains into this. Then when the tank is empty, you unclip the sink bit and empty it, then refilll the tank.

Our village hall did an update on their kitchen a couple of years ago after checking with EHO they put in

2 separate sinks - one for washing up one for food prep

1 very small (a bit like a downstairs toilet at home size) for hand washing, above this is the hand wash soap and paper towel dispensers

If you've been on food hygiene training then you tend to use them correctly. however general hall hirers can't believe how many sinks there are xD

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear. Would we need a seperate sink for washing hands after the mud kitchen, one for after using the loo, and one for after painting? methinks someone has OCD.
I called our friendly EHO when we were planning our kitchen. I explained that we didnt feel there was enough room in the kitchen for a hand wash sink, as well as a full sink for dishes mostly due to our limited funds, and the location of the drains etc. . We have hand wash facilities in the staff toilet, and seperate sinks for the children, and for arts and craft. She said that as long as we have good handwashing facilities in the bathroom, then we were ok as its only a daycare and we are not providing food all day long like in a cafe etc. we have that middle bit between the sink and the drainer which we use for washing hands whilst cooking and after if needed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)