Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

long term plan

Hi I hav been asked to update the old long term plan for a mixed rec/ yr 1 class at my new school. The template I hav been given has a space each term for the curriculum objectives to be covered in each area and specific activities. Also a space for primary framework units to be covered (num and lit) I am fine doing this for yr 1 but feel this is too formal and prescribed for eyfs. Surely we should be planning for what the children need- how do we know now what we want to cover in Feb etc? Please can you share your thoughts and ideas on this. Thanks.

• Like 1

Hi

I would agree but then I am a pre-school setting so I don't have to worry about the more formal structure a school uses.

However what might work is a nursery I visited used to look at their continuous provision and make decisions about what area's of learning and learning objectives children would naturally encounter from just being with them in the first place. They then looked at what was left (which for them was just a handful of learning objectives as they had resourced their environment very well) and then they planned for these in a general way which could be adapted to what ever topic/interest the children had. It was kind of like looking through the EYFS and making a decision about what kind of experiences they felt children wouldn't get without an adult there to facilitate or to without a more specific planned for activity.

I don't know that it always works for me but it may work for you :P that way you could still have a long term plan but it would be flexible enough to adapt to each interest/skill level or topic you were covering.

• Like 1

Guest tinkerbell

Hi Kcmissy

I teach a mixed R/yr1 class and so work with my partner teacher in the yr1/yr2 class when it came to looking at the long term plan a couple of years ago.

However I have been very free and easy with the plan this year as it hasn't really fit in with the EYFS

.Do you share year 1? I think it would be a good idea to see what year2 are covering topic wise too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)