Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Jazzing up CP

Part of our continuous provision is really underused and is not really interesting to the children.

We have a set of wooden shelves with the following in wicker baskets:

Threading (a few different sorts)

Magnifying glasses, torches and magnets

Collections of things - eggs, stones, hearts, natural stuff such as pine cones

Some number and shape related puzzles

Sandpaper numbers

Sandpaper letters

Letter pebbles

Links (coloured plastic chain that links together)

Kiddi counters (little people to sort/play with)

The children do use the resources now and again, but really only with an adult and its been like that for ages. We don't have construction resources on here such as Duplo, Mobilo etc as we prefer to put these out in large amounts. Children tell us what they would like and we get it out (unless we've planned something specific)

What CP do you have to support maths, investigation, Understanding the World etc? How do children use them? Is there anything fab I could add?

Oh those eggs sound good lashes! :1b

Hi Beehive - last term I introduced the concept of 'challenges' to some of my older and very competitive boys! So with adult support it was things like "how many nuts and bolts can you put together before the sand timer runs out"? Aforementioned 'nuts and bolts' were always available but largely just overlooked......built on this with many other resources for sorting..........said boys soon starting making up their own 'challenges' + 'challenged' each other..........so it could be something like 'putting sets of five' on a tray with number five - does that make any sense at all? :blink:

This 'challenge' idea spread to other areas of CP - e.g. they were seeing how many play-dough snakes they could roll before sand ran out or how many blocks they could lay in a line and so on and so on.......

Oh writing that has made me realise how much I miss them :1b

My deputy and I are going in for a grand and much needed sort and clean session soon - I think we will actually 'put away' a fair few CP items and bring them out gradually throughout the term....... :blink: I know that we probably have too much 'on offer'........

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)