Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

facebook

Weve been looking at setting up a facebook page for our nursery...mainly as a newsletter for parents and to share information easily...has anyone else done this..what did you include in your policy and have you had any problems

Hi Debbie - and welcome to the Forum!

I'm not sure FB is the ideal tool for this kind of project to be honest. I think it would be hard to control the privacy settings flexibly enough (and you constantly have to monitor any changes FB make to their privacy settings). I might be wrong though, and I'm sure others will be happy to tell you if I am!

Two other options that have been mentioned here for nursery websites are Weebly and Wordpress. I tried out Weebly a couple of years ago and was impressed at its flexibility and ease of use. If Cait finds your post I'm sure she'll be happy to offer her advice as I know she uses it.

• Like 1

We use weebly too! Its really easy to use and our parents like the web page.

We have an open facebook page which is used like a daily diary and I write on it after each session to say what we have been doing. We include pictures of the pre-school on this page and photos of the children but they have faces blanked out.

We have also got a private facebook group that is for parents/carers and is used for photos so that parents who we don't see very often can still see what their child has been doing. I as the manger have to accept people on to the group so I can monitor who accesses the information.

We have never had any problems with our facebook accounts and our parents love them. We only have one parent who is not on facebook.

• Like 3

Our parents love our facebook page. it's a closed group so only people we know can join. We use it to remind parents of upcoming events, what activities each room will be doing or sharing a top tip! The parents also use it to ask questions, let us know if a child is ill etc.

It works well for us although not all parents are on it, so I email too!

• Like 1

Hi

We have a Facebook page (under pressure from committee!) but it is only used as an information page really, another way of getting in contact with us

I don't put Newsletters on it, but I will put 'check your email inbox for our latest newsletter' as a post

Or It is useful to send a reminder eg photographer in today

Anyone can be a 'friend' of our group as there is no mention of children's names or photos of children on there, but I will put photos of children's masterpieces on.

I personally don't like Facebook, but I do realise it is a really popular way for people to network, particularly the youngsters of today! xD

• Like 1

Facebook is something we recently set up after lots of interest from parents. We use it as a secret group that members have to be accepted into.

All parents have to sign a consent form and agree not to share photographs that have other children in them etc. As administrator I also approve posts from parents before they are shown. However parents have to remember that depending on their own settings other parents may be able to access their wall as they are friends in this group. I have also pledged not to look at their walls as I have no interest in that. There are many considerations from a data protection side of things. However .....

I have to say that there is incredible enthusiasm for it. I can put on a reminder and know that most parents will have seen it on their phones nearly immediately. I have never had so much communication!

Dont know if you all ready have one but we use wordpress for our website. The only thing we paid for was our website name and that was only about £20 a couple of years ago. We have two admin people (one staff, one committee) who can access the site and upload dates, news, info etc.We then put our newsletters on it.

Since we had our website the interest and enquiries have increased significantly. We also have our prospectus on it and encourage parents to print their own copies of our registration form to save a few pennies our end.

Oh and our policies are online too so parents can read and access them at any time. No photos or names involved as it just seemed a bit too complicated in getting permission but that is another option with wordpress.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)