Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Planning for outdoor play

Hi all

How do you plan for outdoor play?

Do you have the same things out all the time or do you have different things every day/week?

At the minute we have a lot of things that are out every day and then we add things depending on interests, next steps and weather!

Is this right?

Do you record your planning for outdoor play?

Sorry for all the questions!

Sorry, I can't help - we do pretty much the same as you. But when we return in September we will have a much improved outdoor play area - with canopy and safety surface; the school site will also be fenced which will (I hope!) lead to less vandalism which in turn will mean that we can set up and leave play equipment out. So I will be watching this post with interest!

Pretty ;much as you say Klc, regarding recording, I have a sheet up by the door and we scribble on to that what we have done outside, and if we have planned anything from the week before to carry over that goes on the plan too. It is a very simple plan, just the 7 areas and the days of the week.

• Like 1

we're pretty much the same as well, have tried to set up the outdoors so that things are permanent fixtures out there, ie sound wall, sand pit,wildlife area.... we have a log cabin that has a particular role play theme for the week, so things get added for that, we then have a number bag, writing bag, explorers bag that goes outside each day, if anything has been added to planning as interest/next step that is particularly for outdoors we highlight it green, but we dont particularly plan for outdoors, just ensure that available resources cover all areas arnd mark this on daily risk assessment.

I dont have much to add to those who have gone before me really!!

There are some things set up in the morning outside but the majority of the resources are there for the children to access when and how they want to, to promote open ended play and play that is child initiated.

We do have a mud kitchen that is always set up but the rest. . . . . . . it depends!

On our planning sheet (A3 size, weekdays and the 7 areas plus boxes for small group work/ interventions etc) I indicate if the activity is the focus activity or if it is outdoors or child initiated or next steps (we use different coloured dots!!)

Not sure if that helps you or not klc106!!!!

As a total 'packaway' we have different things out each day

I have certain popular things on a rota eg trikes, scooters, large climbing frame but then everything else is just added to go with the follow of how the children are feeling. As all our resources are in a shed in the garden, the children can see what we've got and request what extras they want really.

I too add it to the planning sheet after the event - I never feel like it's 'formal' enough to satisfy Ofsted though :mellow: we are very much a 'go with the flow' kind of setting when it comes to being outside.

• Like 5

I do plan the focus activity but generally we go with the flow. . .

Used to spend hours planning but it just was not a true representation of what we actually did!!!

Rightly or wrongly it is now accurate!! :ph34r:

Is that not what it is all about? Children making there own choices.

We set up books, mark making, musical area, mud kitchen , swing that hangs on a tree, guttering , a couple of quiet cozy areas, we have huge sand pit built in the garden and an outside tap

We set these up mostly everyday and sometimes they get ignored and children go to the shed and that's fine because that then becomes truly child led

Now im going to play devils advocate here.....!

If you value outside play as much as you do inside then why wouldn't you plan for it?

Our plans (as ive said before ) are based on the childrens next steps...they can be done inside or outside, but i need to know what sort of experiences to put out in order to acheive this don't i?

So if you know you have 10 children who need to work on their fine motor skills then surely you should be planning for a couple of activities inside and outside to give them practise in this. Or if little Johnny needs to do more sensory play then the plans should show how you are going to acheive this inside and out.

I think if you avoid planning the outside area and what you are going to provide in it then you are missing the point of outdoor learning.

• Like 2

Finsleysmaid, all good points!

Personally our focus activity can obviously be planned for indoor or outdoors!

With hindsight prompted by your comment I think I need to tweak our plans a little because the outdoor setting up, usually has a child or children's interests in mind, to follow up from the previous days play etc and I need to make this clearer on our plans.

absolutely finsleymaid planning for outside should be same as in

my staff plan individually for their children which can be taken in or out.

adult led activity is the same, story and singing, we go whether the children take us

Outside becomes boring for all if some thought does not go into it

excellent reflection scatterangel, this is what is sooooooooo great about this forum

My weekly enhancements sheet includes both indoor and outdoor activities and the sections are for the type of activity (construction \ creative \ etc...) so the enhancements we add might be indoor or outdoor ones. There is lots of continuously available outdoor provision from which the children choose and access whatever they would like.

Our next steps planning can take place inside or outside and the focus is the skill not the context i.e. if little Johnny needs to develop his understanding of sharing by practising turn taking it doesn't matter whether it is inside with the train track or outside on the bikes - we will look for opportunities to work on that and as they arise note them on the planning sheets to show that the activity has happened somewhere (regardless of whether it in inside or outside) That example would be more retrospective planning (noting it after the fact) but if we are planning an activity to provide opportunities for the children to develop a skill we have identified as a next step then again sometimes it is inside, sometimes outside depending on what will suit their current interests and is likely to engage them most.

Mel

x

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

just looking for advice on how to plan for outdoor when have no garden. we do have some access to the school playground that is across the road from us. we have a large false grass area for the morning, small tarmac area in the afternoon, with a 45mins session. we have a very small storage box at the school which is very limited to hold resources :-( . also the nursery is limited with resources aswell. Ive just started my new job as a deputy in the nursery for 2-5 years old, we are in a hall (non pack) and i suppose finding it hard with no garden. the last two years ive been in Sunny oz working in early years and had a wonderful garden along with the nice weather. previous in the uk, i worked in a brand new nursery with lots of resources including a lovely garden to build and plan. we just had a practice ofsted inspection, we were advise to think about the outdoor space, make it more about physical needs of the children. we are lucky in one sense, we do have two parks beside us and we do Forest school two days a week. anyone has any planning or advice i would appreciate it.

Buy small back packs for the children to carry, u can fill these with anything ,scarves, streamers, balls, natural objects, mark making and so on . You can add to these as different interest develop

Guest youngrisers

hello all

we love being outdoors at our setting and spend most of the day dipping into boxes and bags to find interesting things to play with outdoors. We have a wellie rack which is available to all the children and they access this by themselves and a store of waterproofs even our two year olds are adapt at putting these on hood first arms follow method. The leggings take a bit longer. We found that magnifying boxes are easy to use and the children love finding mini beast and other interesting shapes to examine. Forest school is our main focus and we visit our school woods every month whatever the weather even when it snows. Our curriculum is planned on free flow and our staff are use to opening the door and going outside we are usually out side on average for at least 4-5 hours a day.

• 1 month later...

I agree with all the comments made by everyone, but when I think back to when I was a child and went out to play, my mum/dad never had a plan drawn up of what I was going to access or what areas I needed to develop in . I went out and made my own choices and played with what was available. I climbed trees, made mud pies, made dens, had gymnastic classes with my friends on my dads lovely lawn (not so lovely when we had finished) and generally had a fantastic time. My interests changed daily , if not by the hour. My parents always knew where I was and I had set boundaries, so I was always kept safe.

I do think we should go with the flow outdoors.

• Like 2

I agree with all the comments made by everyone, but when I think back to when I was a child and went out to play, my mum/dad never had a plan drawn up of what I was going to access or what areas I needed to develop in . I went out and made my own choices and played with what was available. I climbed trees, made mud pies, made dens, had gymnastic classes with my friends on my dads lovely lawn (not so lovely when we had finished) and generally had a fantastic time. My interests changed daily , if not by the hour. My parents always knew where I was and I had set boundaries, so I was always kept safe.

I do think we should go with the flow outdoors.

As we should indoors parklands. plans should be created for the individuals learning...this then does not stifle their creativity but puts the emphasis on the practitioners knowledge of their next steps and how they are going achieve that. So the group making mud pies today (actually chocolate cake for Happy Maz!) included next steps of 'forming relationships'/turn taking/ using spoken language etc etc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We plan for outdoor provision and have adults responsible for this... The constant message is whatever happens inside should be reflected outside... Most of the activities are continuous such as writing area, climbing frame, bikes, creative, construction, some changes according to weather... Topic... Children's needs... And their ideas...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)