Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

COL's on observation sheet

Hi there,

We are looking to include more on the 'Characteristics of Learning' in our observations and assessments. I was thinking about maybe making a space for it on the observation sheet itself for key workers to simply tick the COL they have observed. This will therefore allow them to monitor how their key children tend to learn effectively. Does anyone else do this? Our Early years team have also suggested making a section for it in our monthly summaries.

I have uploaded the observation sheet which now includes the COL's from Development Matters for staff to tick or highlight. I would love your opinions on what you think to this approach or if you think it would be better to encourage staff to simply use the relevant language from the COL when writing up the observations. I have also included a copy of our monthly summary sheet which I have not yet adapted to include the COLs. Any ideas on how I can include it would be much appreciated.

Thank you :)new ob sheet.docxMonthly Development Plan.docx

• Like 2

I think it looks good!

I always feel that one size wouldnt fit all so you have to find whats workable for you and your team x

Hi yes it looks ok, must admit we don't do anything anywhere near as formal as this anymore - occasionally, we but generally they are written scrapbook style with photographs and we use CoL terms within our observation, or we would add an additional comment in a bubble, such as "Ruby, you really were enthusiastic about this activitiy, you persevered even when ......... and so on. I think it makes it more personal somehow.

Just to say, however, since reading an article about Learning Journeys in Nursery World today - I don't know where we will be going next. I like LJ's but they are very time consuming, our parents love ours and the style and format ours take.

Looks fine to me. It's quite similar to the format I have for long observations. I have the CoEL statements typed out so I can highlight them. This was mainly because I knew that at the start of last year I wouldn't be familiar enough with them to use the language naturally and would have to keep looking them up. Doing it this way has meant I've become much more familiar with them. I now need to find a way to improve the way I note them on all the other obs/photos/evidence of all kinds I collect...

• Like 1

Thanks for all your woderful repies.... This is my second time posting i=on the forum and I have found it to be sooooo useful (to the point where I am reading through old posts at every opportunity!)

And thank you Panders fot the observation sheet sample. I really like the format and will be looking to adapt it next week to suit our setting :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)