Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Topics for Autumn Term

What topic/s (if any) are you doing for the autumn term?

If I follow my two-yearly cycle I would do 'I'm a Superhero' and 'Toytown'. I want to replace the 'Toytown' topic, so would be interested in what others are doing!

x

The countryside - lucky you! I live in the countryside :1b but work in the city - there are some benefits of course!

Thanks for your reply.

Don't tend to do topics much, we have, of course, over the years kept what amounts to a mountain of resources to call upon when our little ones show an interest in anything! So these are called upon. We will pop in a couple of autumnal songs to help with counting and autumnal stories, the children inevitably will bring in conkers etc. so they will be used in a variety of ways with those children and any others who show an interest in them We have blackberries growing in the garden and so we will be using those up one way or another, spider's webs will be pointed out, as will frost and experiments into frost/shade/ frost/sun, foggy mornings etc. Experience lends us to know that these "topics" will pop up and so we are at "readiness" for them.

• Like 4

Yes same for us too :1b

Lots of lovely play for mine - with some special 'sensory' type opportunities......see where that takes us ...... + lots of super books/stories - will also see what 'grabs' the children in this line......

Come autumn 'proper' we will do the whole 'collecting of leaves' bit and link this to 'Leaf Man' story and do some 'Andy Goldsworthy' type art with our leaves! :1b

• Like 2

Yes similar to above. We wait and see what the children and season bring. I never begin any autumn things until much later in the term - we rarely see many signs of autumn before half term. September is still late summer here in Suffolk. But now I've said that it'll probably snow!

If we need something to 'kick start' the term/planning/activities we will go for a book and plan some things round that while new children settle and returning ones get back into the swing of things. Then there are the ones who have been with us all summer and need a new challenge...

I always spent the first couple of weeks back just settling in - even the children returning needed support to get back into the routines and rules of the setting. During this time we would make a note of the children's current interests and take it from there.

Like others, I would also incorporate seasonal activities when the time was appropriate.

• Like 3

Our children come in really poor in CLL so we will be doing a backbone of nursery rhymes the rest will come.We will start with Humpty dumpty and hickory dickory as these tend to be familiar to new entry children and parents and then see where we go

• 2 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)