Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Introducing Continuous Provision in September

Guest gemmabriscoe1

Guest gemmabriscoe1

Hi, I have been teaching in Early Years for a few years now and I still feel like I 'rush' and dont get the most out of the 'training' phase (showing the children how to use continuous provision) during the first week or two in September.

Does anyone have any methodical and clear ways of planning to introduce the continuous provision that I can also share with my TAs so that they know exactly what I expect of them during those weeks.

Our school has just had a new head teacher appointed who is much more open to me spending quality time training the children in using continuous provision so Im really keen to grasp the opportunity with both hands and make a really good job of it this year!!

Thanks in advance

G x :rolleyes:

Hi, I have been teaching in Early Years for a few years now and I still feel like I 'rush' and dont get the most out of the 'training' phase (showing the children how to use continuous provision) during the first week or two in September.

Does anyone have any methodical and clear ways of planning to introduce the continuous provision that I can also share with my TAs so that they know exactly what I expect of them during those weeks.

Our school has just had a new head teacher appointed who is much more open to me spending quality time training the children in using continuous provision so Im really keen to grasp the opportunity with both hands and make a really good job of it this year!!

Thanks in advance

G x :rolleyes:

Edited by Susan
To remove new content from within quoted post.

Oops. My writing has somehow gone in with the quote. Sorry everyone.

Funnily enough, we have felt exactly the same! I have decided that the whole half term can be spent on getting to know the setting, resources, continuous provision, how to tidy up, learning names etc etc. in the past I think we have rushed too early into more topic based stuff and not spent enough time really embedding the practical things I would like. So the planning is going to be all around that and we'll see how we go. No particular timetable to it though!!!!

Edited by Susan
To include text from above post,

I usually plan my adult led activities around the cp for the first month, so each child will work with an adult in the creative area, constructions area etc, finding where things are and putting resources back. Works for us but I know what you mean about rushing things, there is always a tendency to push on with a topic and I nearly always start this too soon and wish I had spent a few more weeks on routines.

Slightly different in a pre school, but we spend term 1 doing exactly this, introducing CP, explaining rules, showing how our snack bar works , showing the ropes for free flow, we also during this process (remember not all our children attend every day and we are mornings only) get to know our children and parents and 'what floats their boats' we make general notes obs photos do progress checks

This time spent reinforcing what we do pays dividends because they settle better and by end of term 1for most of the children they are settled confident happy learning in dependant little people . Love this time, even though very busy

Hi Rufus - would it be possible for you to post your planning showing exactly what you do for the first month? Sorry if you think this is cheeky!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)