Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Learning Journeys

Hi All

A set of 2 siblings at our setting have left their day nursery to come to us full time. Today, their mum brought in their learning journeys for us to look at and I am quite confused by them really. They started there in November 2012 and left in July.

They have a scrapbook which has only got between 4/5 photos in and none linked to eyfs or any observation notes to go with them.

There is no evidence of any observations that have been done during play except 1 sheet in each that is titled 'child's voice' and has a few notes of things the children have said (again not linked to the eyfs). There is a progress summary for the older child but not the little one. There is also no information to clearly state what level the children were at and where they are now.

They did include a progress summary that I sent to them (received nothing back from them). They are an Ofsted 'outstanding' nursery.

I'm confused as they don't show the child's learning journey.

Our learning journey's contain any observations we make (long obs and spontaneous obs) as well as photos and evidence of their work. All obs and evidence of work is linked to the eyfs and shows the characteristics of effective learning too. Our parents all love our learning journeys as do our improvement advisor and the feeder school teacher.

We are due Ofsted anytime and only got satisfactory last time- really aiming for good this time!

So, what do you have in yours? Does it sound like we are doing it the right way?

Sorry for the long post. :(

Our learning journey's contain any observations we make (long obs and spontaneous obs) as well as photos and evidence of their work. All obs and evidence of work is linked to the eyfs and shows the characteristics of effective learning too. Our parents all love our learning journeys as do our improvement advisor and the feeder school teacher.

Hi klc

You could be describing our LJ folders there! :1b

In my humble you should keep up the good work and be guided by what works for you, your children, your parents......

• Like 1

Have you been looking at our LJ's? You just described them perfectly (yours not the other ones) x

Edited by SamG

Hi well isn't it lucky they have come to you then.:)

LJ's in my opinion are unique to each setting, so they may look very different in their appearance and content.

We have them as a celebration of a child's time with us, and could include photos, art, comments by child, observations, characteristics of effective learning, as well as our progress wheel, interests from home etc.

Content might also vary by the amount of time a child attends.

All sounds good to me what your doing.:)

• Like 1

Ours include photos and observations made on a regular basis. I do not cross reference each observation with DM (was told it was unnecessary and I didn't find it was helpful when filling out our assessments as many obs meet many areas) We do use the language found in the CoELs in our observations to make it clear to anyone reading them who is in the know (i.e. other EY practitioners or inspectors) that we are noting, taking account of and planning for our children to learn in a variety of effective ways.

I visited a couple of other settings and some had wonderful journeys and others which were rated as good had (in my opinion) Learning Journeys which lacked in quality and quantity.

Mel

x

• Like 1

Yes Klc keep up the good work - not for the first time an "outstanding" nursery has been found to be wanting - I had a learning journey sent to me over the summer for a new 4 year old starting with us - it was one sheet! The only information on it was how he had settled with them during his earliest of days, I am hoping there is something missing - will be able to interrogate his mother in a week or so!

• Like 1

Yes Klc keep up the good work - not for the first time an "outstanding" nursery has been found to be wanting - I had a learning journey sent to me over the summer for a new 4 year old starting with us - it was one sheet! The only information on it was how he had settled with them during his earliest of days, I am hoping there is something missing - will be able to interrogate his mother in a week or so!

That's awful! Hope they forgot to send the rest!

Better yet, I phoned an 'outstanding' nursery to ask for the LJ of a child who had transferred to us, got the same runaround the parents had about it.......we've been re-organising, but it has been put in a sfae placce/don't know where it is...and fnally they admitted they had destroyed it as the parents had said they didn't want it, The parents were deeply upset as they had actually been actively asking for it for weeks!!

When I asked to speak to his Key Person for a break down of where the child was 'at', I got told ' oh yes, Know him really well; he's very sociable and knows his numbers'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by narnia
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)