Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

school Nurseries - do you go into assemblies? How about Reception?

hi! our new head started today. it was a teacher training day and she mentioned nursery going into celebration assembly - we have joined with the junior school to make an all through primary. however i am not keen and reception teacher only wants her class going into celebration assembly! reception had to go all last year, but she is hoping a new head means she can do what she feels is more appropriate for her children. she also wants to stop going out at break time as they have access to outside anyway, and don't need it, plus it means having more flexibility to ensure class has a long period of uninterrupted time in the morning to become engrossed in ci activities. what does everyone else do? do any nursery classes go into assembly? what about reception? and do your reception class go out at break with the rest of school?

thanks x

We will go into a key stage 1 and reception celebration assembly once we feel the children are ready.

We don't have playtimes because we have freeflow access to the outdoor area all day.

are you a primary school? this sounds like what we need to be doing.... x

We don't do assembly but reception do certain ones from spring term onwards I think!

A head we used to have made the reception class go everyday but it really didn't work well!

We don't do assembly but reception do certain ones from spring term onwards I think!

A head we used to have made the reception class go everyday but it really didn't work well!it

it 'worked', but that doesn't mean it's developmentally appropriate for them .......... i don't know of any nurseries that go in. am just seeing what others do so i can say what generally happens in other schools to back up our argument for not going in!! x

Of course there is the requirement for collective worship to be considered for reception -

"All maintained schools must provide religious education and daily collective worship for all registered pupils and promote their spiritual, moral and cultural development." which comes from the standing DfE guidance.
So although this probably wouldn't be used for nursery being non statutory, reception children being registered pupils in the classic sense that they are a school year group would technically need to have their daily collective worship regardless of going to assembly or not. We used to do this as a class reflection once a day.
Cx

We (maintained nursery) go to Reception and KS1 class assembly - we are a CofE school so the Head feels that it is important! In the summer term, with combined nursery unit and pre-school we totalled over 50 children; the hall was really full (350+ pupils as well as parents and staff), it was SO hot and our children couldn't actually see what was going on anyway. The Head has recently agreed that we take in only the children who will be starting school in the following academic year - but in September that will be everyone!

The Reception class attend assembly daily. They have their own CI outdoor play, but in the summer term join with KS1.

Our reception class go to KS1 assembly and celebration assembly but probably not the first half term.

I work in nursery and we don't go to any usually, but went to the final celebration one in July as for the first time there was nursery prize.We stayed for the class prizes then left - just long enough We may go to the end of term one's in future- we often don't feel part of what's going on!

we go to end of year one or other appropriate, but i don't want to go every week. and reception would of course have a daily collective worship if they don't go in.

thanks for all your help!! x

At the infant school I used to work at, none of the nursery or reception children went into assemblies unless their was a special reason e.g. Christmas, World Book Day and end of term.

They also do not go outside at break time with the ks1 children as they have free flow play for most of the day.

We are a Catholic school, and as soon as the children are ready, which is a few weeks in really, we go to Liturgy (assembly) on Mon and Wed and celebration assembly on Fri afternoon. On a Tues and a Thurs we have a class assembly where we have prayers and talk about the 'statement to live by' for that week e.g the first one is 'I am a special person' or something like that!

Our Liturgies are only short, and as our head used to teach in reception she always makes it appropriate for them. It is an important part of school life in my school. The children enjoy singing hymns etc, there is lots of clapping and actions!

We are a primary school and Nursery and Reception do not go into assembly or have playtime. We used to have Reception going into assembly from September, but found that the children were not really ready for it and didn't get much out of it. What we did instead was have either the Head, Deputy or EY Leader coming into each Reception class on a Friday and hand out the certificates (a whole school reward system) so the children were able to feel like part of the school in that sense (especially if they have older brothers and sisters so already aware of the certificates) but the whole 'mini assembly' was only about 2-3 minutes long. The Reception children then started going to assembly in the second half of the summer term as well as attending playtimes to help with transition. Other than that, the Reception children would occasionally go into a 'special' assembly, such as Christmas, but we would carefully select only those who we knew would be ready for it.

We are a primary school and Nursery and Reception do not go into assembly or have playtime. We used to have Reception going into assembly from September, but found that the children were not really ready for it and didn't get much out of it. What we did instead was have either the Head, Deputy or EY Leader coming into each Reception class on a Friday and hand out the certificates (a whole school reward system) so the children were able to feel like part of the school in that sense (especially if they have older brothers and sisters so already aware of the certificates) but the whole 'mini assembly' was only about 2-3 minutes long. The Reception children then started going to assembly in the second half of the summer term as well as attending playtimes to help with transition. Other than that, the Reception children would occasionally go into a 'special' assembly, such as Christmas, but we would carefully select only those who we knew would be ready for it.

i think it depends on who is doing the assembly and if it is key stage two as well - it's hard to make it relevant/age-appropriate/interesting for 4-11 year olds!! your school sounds spot on - any jobs going?!!!!!!!!!!!! x :P :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)