Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

I'm confused

AnonyMouse_44288

Can anyone help to clarify my issue...

I work in a preschool always at one member of staff above ratio, at present 4 staff most sessions We run a free flow session between indoors/outdoors so generally 2 staff in each area unless children move to throw ratios out then we stand between areas so can observe both whilst other staff are in the area.

My issue is if a child needs changing of clothes, nappy, help in the toilet area our EY advisor tells me 2 members of staff must do this together but we cannot be out of ratio in the room or outside.... I can't split myself in two!

She informed me the dreaded O people will shut us down if we allow ratios to drop or allow staff alone to help children?

Any advice?

Had ofsted today and no worries over one staff member in changing area. As long as risk assessment and stringent procedures are in place and you can demonstrate that any risk is acknowledged and minimised it is acceptable. Remember that they are only advisers and you have to do what works within your setting

Well,I don't know what anyone else will say....

We do not change children in two's! I doubt there are many settings that do and to my knowledge, nowhere does it state that 2 people should so why should you be closed down!

The only thing I can think is, is your changing area a long way from everywhere else in the setting and therefore, not in earshot etc from other staff so possibly a cause for concern for your EY advisor?

I think this is another case of early years advisors getting a bit carried away......why two people? if its for safe guarding then its rather over the top! we work on a simular basis to you, we always tell another member of staff when we are going to help with toilet issues, Ofsted came two weeks ago and was very happy with our practice and said how well we communicate as a team, as other poster mentioned, they are there to advise but you do whats best for your own setting x I hope this gets sorted soon for you and yoru team x

• Like 1

I think we've all acknolwedged that nappy changing is not a 'spectator activity'? One person is fine, why on earth would you need two; as max says, so long as you have your risk assessments in place and use properly cleared staff, there shouldn't be an issue. Let's leave the children their dignity and our staff some respect.

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)