Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

I have worked with children for over 16 years but have recently had my first experience of working with an EAL child. We're in a rural and not very diverse area! Our LA no longer has a support service for EAL but suggested a primary school that may help ( we're a school nursery) as our school had ( amazingly) no experience of EAL.

They came to visit and brought various written guidance which we've read and seemed generally impressed with what we are doing and how we were getting on! However, the child has no English at all. His parents speak a bit of English and have lived locally for several years. They knew 6 months before he came to us that we had no experience of EAL and no other children but haven't taught him anything. I think they are expecting we will do it all! We follow a fairly good routine which he has picked up and we were advised to include him in group times etc as well as doing some 1:1 work with him, all of which we are doing. However, his behaviour is quite aggressive towards the other children. I think he maybe frustrated at not being understood and I do think some of them are trying to provoke him - they call his name then scream if he runs towards them, or interfere in what he's doing so he lashes out. he is also reluctant to share. We have had to use Google Translate to get some key word and phrases ( we write them phonetically!!) as we were told he needed to be able to use his home language to express his needs, but I'm not sure how much of my attempts he understands or if he is choosing to ignore us! It's really hard to manage his behaviour as we would other children when we can't explain things!

I really feel for him and am very keen to help him. he got really upset for the first time this week and I could only decipher 'Mummy' and 'Daddy' from what he was saying! I also don't want his parents to experience hostility from other parents ( which they will before long if his behaviour continues!). Nor do i want to be listing what he's done wrong each day to them ( as I've been on the wrong end of that as a parent myself!)

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Newbury park language of the month site is brilliant!! We use it in our setting all the time, just take a look and it is all self explanatory really.... It has helped our Eal children and staff! We also take photos of things like toilet, cup etc and ask parents to say the word it is in their language into our talking album (you can buy online cheap) and then all children and staff can press the button to listen to the word being said so is very inclusive. Let me know how you get on......

• Like 4

I always find it fascinating that settings have no EAL children because we have had them for SO long now (we have 10 languages spoken in the setting!) some of our children speak 3 languages (and some dont speak anything!!)

Translations are great but i tend to use the parents if possible so that they are more involved and can say it with their usual dialect,,,,,

how good are his home language skills? catma posted lots of info on this recently (i'll try and find the link)

If he is having no problems with one language then 2 should be ok....it will take him up to 6 months to start using english effectively he needs support and friends and i suspect that the bad behaviour gets him noticed whereas good behaviour has less of an effect?

use visual clues where poss (photos are good) do any of you know any Makaton (you tube Mr Tumble)

Lots of demonstration

Make visual clues obvious....happy cross etc etc!!! limit your language to the minimum you need 1/2 words great!

If possible can you get books in his home language? (get mum or dad in to read it to the group.....how do the rest of you feel ...can you understand the story? what would help you understand it....put yourself in his position)

is he good at anything...can you use this to support friendships/build self esteem?

have fun!

Hi!

Tracyb46: Had a look and the Newbury Park site seems very good. We currently have no internet connection in nursery, so it's difficult to use it in school! The demonstrations of words on there suggest my Polish leaves much to be desired!!

I like the idea of a talking album and will look into it. Thank you!

Finleysmaid: Mum and dad want us to use English with him, but they aren't, so it's doubly difficult! We are getting by at present with actions and exaggerated facial expressions! I am hoping to arrange a visit to a nursery which has lots of EAL children to see how they cope.

Edited by Madmum
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)