Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Classroom Areas

Hi All,

My jobshare teacher and I have just had observations of our Reception teaching which went well. However it was noticed that our reading corner, writing table and maths table weren't as appealing to the children as other areas and weren't used very much. We've been set a target of making these areas more exciting and appealing. As far as resources go, we have lots of different things (e.g. cards, different shaped papers, envelopes, post-its, different writing implements, etc. on the writing table) but it isn't enough to tempt the children. So I would love some advice, particularly how you display resources and maybe even photos of what you have done in your own classrooms to combat this issue. Thanks in advance

J

Hi

My writing area is an office, I've got old office diaries, small drawers with pens, felt pens etc calculators and date stamps - which they love! The office is generally full and quite popular with my boys and less able. We have themed book corners in our school in most classes, castle, forage, jungle, rainforest, underwater etc. my children love the book corner. Good luck!

Hi,

In our book area we have focused on making it as comfortable and inviting as possible. We have lots of material hanging from the ceiling and have provided bean bags, big cushions, duvets, pillows and blankets for children to really snuggle up with a book.

We also store our puppets, teddies etc in the book area and the children really enjoy using them alongside familiar stories.

In terms of the writing area, I've previously had success with dressing it using the advice on here http://abcdoes.typepad.com/

I looked at the types of characters the children were interested in and themed the area with these to attract them in. Lots of good tips and ideas on the website though, including getting children mark making in all areas that they are playing in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)