Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

WANTED: Advice from nursery teachers

HELP! Please can someone advise me? I'm feeling really fed up at the moment after my performance management review last week and have been left doubting my effectiveness as a teacher. :(

The problem is that I have not planned daily focussed assessments for some time now, in part, because they often didn't get done - there just doesn't seem to be any time to fit them in! :huh:

When setting my objectives for this academic year I explained how I assess (often using PLODs and following the child's direction); my line manager was not happy about the fact that I do not do daily focused assessments in small groups - this has left me feeling that I have got it all very wrong! :oWhen I have PM observations I set up an activity with a small group but this does not really reflect what happens in a nursery session.

I had three 'outstanding' performance management observations last year and the children make good progress during their time in the nursery. I would be very interested to know how other nursery teachers teach and assess their children.

I had three 'outstanding' performance management observations last year and the children make good progress during their time in the nursery. I would be very interested to know how other nursery teachers teach and assess their children.

This for me indicates that your assessment is valid and appropriate.

Daily focused assessments will become a burden but I am sure you are always evaluating/ assessing the children on a daily basis in order for the statement above to be true.

Have you anyone from an early years team to come in and talk to your PM manager? Are your targets appropriate regardless of the misunderstanding?

As THEY say, you can't fatten a baby by weighing it, so constantly assessing in a formal way is not the same as teaching. I don't do a formal assessment every day. That's one good thing about the revised EYFS that we can go for a best fit, without having to formally assess everything. Also....my cynical side coming out.....have heard of some head teachers who are giving lower grades in observations to potentially avoid giving pay rise at end of perf manag cycle, as pay is now linked to performance. Ooops. Did I say that out loud?

• Like 2

If your children are making good progress AND during observations you have been graded as outstanding then this indicates that your methods are working.

We do not have a daily assessment activity, we engage with children during their child initiated play and make assessments based on our observations. We then develop their skills and understanding as part of the same activity with considered interventions and support.

I agree with Susan about seeing if you can get any support from your local early years team to address this with your Performance Manager.

Mel

x

• Like 1

Have you anyone from an early years team to come in and talk to your PM manager? Are your targets appropriate regardless of the misunderstanding?

Yes, I have an EYAT who is due to visit very soon - I will bring it up with her. The targets are appropriate; but I am expected to teach the children following all the 'usual' expectations i.e. having a lesson plan with differentiated learning objectives etc. I am happy to do this and the children are always happy/eager to take part in the planned activity - but it seems inconsistent with what really happens and I am just 'jumping through the hoops'!

I'd really love to know how other nursery teachers carry out their PM observations.

Thank you Susan, Dreamgirl and Melcatfish for your replies and support!

Mine is this coming week I have to have 3targets

1for pupil progress

1for professional dev

1 related to sip plan

Like everything else I do not fit with rest of school so usually ends up being a paper exercise

Yes, exactly! But what do you do for your PM observation and does it reflect your normal practice? Mine certainly doesn't - it all seems so false. ;)

Just for interest, I had a satisfactory lesson ob so required improvement. The observer was from a private company. I mentioned the fact that my obs had always been outstanding. I asked her to put her suggestions in writing. Ie photographic evidence doesn't count, TAs were not to teach, all children had to be taught in large group... Her Comments were backed by the head who I had ongoing issues with. I took it further and she has been barred from school. We know what we are doing as we do it day in day out. If all your children are making good progress and you have a calm stimulating environment then job done.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)