Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Getting parents involved

Hi,

I would love some ideas on how to get parents involved with what we do at playschool. I have only been in charge since September. I have planned a parents morning to share info and have invited parents to come to a harvest service with us but I would appreciate some ideas on how to get them to contribute to what we plan for i.e. what are their children doing at home, what are they interested in at home etc? Does anybody do a learning journal?

Thank you x <_<

Have a search for 'wow' boards and wow moments.

You will always get some parents who just don't feel they want to give much feedback, but for those that do....wow!

Also, we have parents meetings where four or five are invited to come in for a chat with their child and we discuss what they all do and don't like (feeds back into the SEF really well too).

Spiral :-)

Handing out named 'wow' slips every half term has helped with feedback and we send out an update form every term which includes sections on child's current interests as well as keeping contact/medical details up-to-date. We find there are a number of hard to reach parents who just want to drop and run and just want their child to be 'happy'! Still not found ways to reach them all!

korkycat

We have slips on their child's LJ and when they come in once a term on stay and play we ask hem to contribute then, we use that to inform but the biggest contribution is on a daily basis when they come to collect their ch. at end of morning and parents chat to key staff, they pass on informative info without realising it :))

I also hold coffee morning very informal but we chat then and I ask for feedback, ideas etc and just jot them down. Don't always get contributions from everyone but we will have done our best to involve.

We have a interest and achievement tree board in our foyer with stickers that we encourage parents to add to. When we send our Learning Intentions home each term there is a box for parents to add their comments but like others have said it is that first thing in the morning and end of session chats where we gain most of our information.

We give parents a 'parent page' A4 sheet of paper each term. At the top of the page we give them a few ideas of how they could contribute to their child's Learning Journey eg. a photo of their child riding their bike, with family members, dressed in their favourite outfit, playing with a favourite toy etc. Also a little bit about what they like doing as a family eg. going to church, visiting the park, favourite stories/songs, swimming, dancing etc. Most parents will write something if you help them by making some suggestions. We also use the 'wow' sheets.

We have home/school diaries that go home with the child at the end of the child's week. The keyperson writes a small paragraph of what the child has done etc and then then parent has to sign to say they have read it and can add their own comments or pass on information to us.

We have a wow tree whereby parents can share a child's wow moment from home.

We hold termly bring a famliy memeber to preschool for a stay and play session. We do alternate weeks each term and include mums, dads, grandparents ( favourite person should there not be dad around). This works really well, we plan things for the particular weeks e.g messy play sessions, crafts, gardening etc.

We have termly keyperson meetings whereby parents get a one to one appt with their keyperson to discuss child's learning journey.

We have just set up a facebook page, this has been very effective as I aim to update each day on what the children have been doing, use it to remind certain things i.e photographer in, wellie boots etc. I also have put links to tax credits, mums net and other hints and tips eg. help with toileting, sleeping etc. as some parents may look up online but are not confident enough to discuss face to face!. We have had lovely feedback from parents as they have said that their children always go home saying that they have not done anything at preschool but can now see what they do each day. We have nearly all of our parents onboard with this now!.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)