Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Physical Restraint Policy

Hi there, I wonder if anyone can help me?

We have just updated our Safeguarding policy, which states that we have to have a whole list of other policies adopted, some of which we haven't yet implemented. For example, we don't have a 'physical restraint' policy. We do have an 'Achieving positive behaviour' policy, which includes the line - "We use physical restraint, such as holding, only to prevent physical injury to children or adults and/or serious damage to property" but I guess that probably isn't enough.

One of the staff members has found 'A Policy on the Use of Force to Control or Restrain Pupils' on the setting computer, which she remembers them discussing at one time, but not implementing. However, on reading it through, I find it a bit vague, particularly on the issue of what the definition of 'reasonable force' is and at what point you would feasibly use it. Statements like: 'where a pupil is behaving in a way that is compromising good order and discipline' worry me. I have no concerns about the staff, but I don't believe this policy would give them any guidance should a difficult situation arise.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Pre -School Restraining Policy.DOC

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)