Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Introducing phonics- too early?

Hi

We are only a small group and our older children (only 4 of them) have started to show an interest in letter sounds e.g. talking about the sounds their name begins with, pointing to words and saying sounds (not correct one)

I just wondered if you think it is too early to start phase 2 phonics with them after half term?

Of course we would still be doing phase 1 activities with child initiated play and group times but I thought about taking these 4 children into our small room and starting to introduce phonics?

What speed would you introduce the sounds? Would you introduce one sound per week starting with SATPIN?

Sorry for so many questions!

Yes we also start with those who are interested but tend to do it 1:1 or very small groups if at same stage so that they can progress at their own pace . As for speed a lot depends on how often they attend nursery etc.

This is what I love about this forum; the constant search and questioning about how best to help the children in our care it really is dedication, commitment and downright consistent - lucky children ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)