Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Book of the week

I've always done a book of the week - the children have always seemed to enjoy the repetition, the familiarity and by the end of the week you may be fed up with it but they are not!

You can extend learning as the week progresses, repeating refrains, acting it out, make a story sack with the children - it really focusses them on the specifics - the children always help choose the book of the week too - some take the learning home as well - it's a great idea in my opinion.

We have a box of books for a half term, that way there is a range to choose from and it is a mix of short stories, rhyming, non fiction, stories with props etc. we can then gauge what to read by the age/stage or interests of the group in that day

We have book of the week which is based on our current interests theme. We continue to read it but we extend it gradually with puppets, small world models or musical instruments. We would like to progress on to acting it out but haven't got that far yet! Children soon get to know that they can choose a different book for impromptu story time.

:1b

We have a book each week that we read everyday. The children love it and by the end of the week, most of them can help to tell the story.

Our area senco loved this idea, particularly as we had a child with ASD and it helped to keep her focused if she knew what story we would be reading. Our improvement advisor likes the idea too!

We have recently started a book of the week (or sometimes 2 weeks) and have found it works really well. We began the term with Owl Babies, using the story sack with the new children, reminding them that mummy (or another familiar adult) always comes back. We then moved on to the Enormous Turnip which went alongside our harvest activities and this week we are reading Goldilocks and the 3 bears as requested by one of the children. We always use props and the children act out the story as well. In the spring and summer terms we tend to do more made up stories where the children dress up or find a prop of their choice such as a basket or a necklace. The children say what they would like to happen and we scribe it. We then read it back and act it out including all the children in the story. They love it and it is great for extending speech and language.

I've been thinking of doing a book of the week too. I figured I would start and see how it developed. We used "Lost and Found" which we read and re-read and then played out the book with Duplo. Then "After the storm" Where we have looked at woodland creatures and their homes, making them with boxes and bits of stuff. I need to develop my creativity around interpretation...... Just found some good ideas on here so am definitely going to try again. I feel quite limited by having only a couple of kids over the week so a week isn't long enough to really develop the theme. Also need to think carefully about differentiation, the attention span of my 20 month old just isn't there for a complex story - although he loved Lost and Found and liked to identify the boy and penguin but didn't manage the next one and wasn't at all interested in creating an animal home.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)