Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Advice needed!

Hi, I'm a trainee teacher and am struggling with a boy in my phonics group. He's definitely working at the right level but struggles to concentrate, talks a lot and distracts the other children. He has a big physical presence and likes to lounge around, often in other children's personal space. He's a really nice boy but I feel like I'm constantly saying his name to get his attention! Any advice would be gratefully received!

When I had similar concerns I tried moving the child's carpet place to either make him feel more aware of those around him, or moving him to the edge to give him the space to spread out a bit more. I also tried to make the work a bit more challenging for him on the basis that he might be getting a bit bored and so chatting more. It was a case of trial and error with a variety of methods but sometimes I found encouraging the things that were causing problems (like the lounging) actually helped the concentration. Hope that helps a bit - it sounded more coherent in my head!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a boy like this too... I go completely over the top with stickers for everyone being ready to learn( makes him more aware how others are doing it) and yes move him so he impacts on less people. My little boy might look like he isn't listening but when quizzed, knows his stuff. He is my one that would be better learning phonics outside... Digging up letters and chalking on the playground... How does you little one perform in this sort of environment?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)