Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Money - Observation

Hi,

I am an NQT and have an observation coming up next week. I am planning to do a maths input followed by a focus activity introducing money. I am aiming to introduce the language and 1p, counting in 1ps to find the cost of an item.

I have thought about using 'The Great Pet Sale' to start the lesson reading it to the children. Then having some of the pictures of the animals with their price tags on the IWB. The children have to count out the right amount of coins to be able to pay for each animal. I was then thinking of just extending this for the focus activity, asking the children to read the price tags, and then count out the amount of 1p coins to be able to pay for their chosen animal.

I just want advice on whether this would be a good lesson for my observation. The children will obviously be using the language of money but by the main focus being on counting am I making this into too much of a number activity? or will the idea of 'cost' still be there.I am a bit confused on how to extend my children also. I don't just want to give them larger amounts to count up to as again this suggest more of a counting focus rather than understanding of money.

Any help is appreciated!

I'd get them to put their maths hats on first and maybe do dropping coins into a jar behind a screen and ask them to listen to how many went in. Just something to get their minds going to start with!?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)