Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Rules and Boundaries

Hi, I don't post very often, but I am racking my brain trying to think of some group activities that could support children with rules and boundaries and managing their emotions. Has anyone got any ideas that they could share? Thankyou in advance.

Our rules are all about everyone being able to feel Safe and Happy. We noticed a change overall when beginning to make this clear. It may be because it's clear and simple to understand, and they can identify with being at the receiving end, feeling unsafe and unhappy.

I think it's important to look at the relationships between adults and children, as some children may react to being told things by adults, out of a need to be seen perhaps. I'm trying to make children see our role as being about protection of everyone's right to feel safe and happy, rather than one of control, judging children, making them feel good or bad.

We create rules together. Children then have ownership over them.

I also ask the children when a little scuffle is taking place about what they would like to happen, give them the tools usually language skills to sort the problem

We make up class rules together including photos, display these and refer to them.

We have used Mr Men characters to talk about emotions (little Mr Men stick puppets - children choose a puppet and talk about when they might feel like this and what we should do.)

We have a worries box and have in the past had a feelings tree where children can hang a leaf to show how they are feeling (encourage children to go to this if they are feeling cross/upset etc.)

Allow children to feel different emotions (it's very tempting as an adult to want all children to look happy all the time and find ourselves trying to get them to smile) - talk to children about how and why they are feeling a certain way and reassuring them that it is ok to feel different emotions and give them strategies of what to do when they feel a certain way.

We play little circle time games where we practise (in a playful way) different language of negotiation and sharing etc.

Sharing ideas about what we do and don't like to happen to us.

Green Hippo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)