Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

What to say when you start forming letters

I've got those but I want to develop a common language for us, a la Mr ABC. For example, what do you say when you write the letter C? It can't be "Start at the top and go all the way round" because that would be O.I want some good words to reinforce the shape they are writing.

When I do b and d , I say big belly and big bottom , so your looking for that sort of prompt , maybe practise writing the letters yourself and then as you do it make rhyme or list of prompts that suits you and your staff , could be an exercise for you all to do , you got me thinking now

What do the school do ?

Edited by lashes2508

Just found verbal path for formation of letters but to be honest I don't find it easy or helpful

www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/uploadedFiles/schools/.../verbal_letters.pd...

Verbal Path for the Formation of Letters. Fountas & Pinnell Leveled Literacy ... Sometimes it helps children to say aloud the directions for “making” a letter.

Interesting, how many of you teach them cursive script letter formation if that's what they'll do on entering school, where you start at the bottom, I still think they need to see 'ordinary' letter formation, another staff always writes their names in cursive script, a child said "my name doesn't have 3's" in it :/ .....seems a bit confusing, like when they've been taught capitals instead of lower case and you have to try and undo it again.

Interesting, how many of you teach them cursive script letter formation if that's what they'll do on entering school, where you start at the bottom, I still think they need to see 'ordinary' letter formation, another staff always writes their names in cursive script, a child said "my name doesn't have 3's" in it :/ .....seems a bit confusing, like when they've been taught capitals instead of lower case and you have to try and undo it again.

sorry mouseketeer im a bit confused .....i teach what they need to know for the school they are going to. So if they are doing full cursive then that is what i'll do, that way they don't need to change the way they are doing it once they start reception...to them this then becomes 'ordinary' letter formation

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)