Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Exceeding exemplification

Would any lovely person on here be able to tell me here is any such thing as a document that gives exemplification of Exceeding judgement s... my job share is sure we used a doc last year but I have no recollection of it!!

There isn't any as exceeding could be anything beyond the ELG. You don't have to say where they are for exceeding, you just have to be sure they are secure with all the elements of the goal and going beyond them.

You have to use the Tickell descriptors and the NC level descriptors (technically at any level the child is demonstrating) plus discuss with Yr 1 teachers.* to be meeting statutory requirements.

Cx (Who is now exhausted after weeks of moderation visits!)

(*Just wondering what a preschool would do with an exceeding child where they have no Yr 1!)

• Like 1

My judgements have been thrown up into the air recently, especially with writing. I moderated with other schools recently and they were told expected is 1c and exceeding your looking at a 1a. Please help me...is this what everyone else are basing judgements on????

(*Just wondering what a preschool would do with an exceeding child where they have no Yr 1!)

Probably better than the reception teacher who has a Y1 teacher who doesn't seem to 'hear' it! I'm fed up of giving a detailed report/profile of my children only to see it largely ignored. To be fair I am mainly talking about behaviour support rather than the reading/writing/maths stuff. However, in my school we start the books for the next academic year in June so that they contain work from the children at their best i.e. with a familiar teacher/environment/expectations/language/before the summer dip so that in September their new teacher knows what they can expect from them and act accordingly. I've seen my children's work get significantly worse in those books once September started! :angry: :huh:

As for the moderation visits Catma - I can only imagine! Hope they're over soon, if not already.

My judgements have been thrown up into the air recently, especially with writing. I moderated with other schools recently and they were told expected is 1c and exceeding your looking at a 1a. Please help me...is this what everyone else are basing judgements on????

That is just not the case. There is no correlation with NC levels. What if the exceeding child was working at level 2?? Would they still say they were 1a? Of course not. Exceeding just means working beyond the goal - nothing more. It says all this in the handbook!

(And as moderation manager I know so from the STA briefings I attend too!!)

What will they say when there are no NC levels i wonder!!

Cx

Guest tinkerbell

unfortunately head teachers and SIPS do equate the EYFS emerging,expected and exceed to the National curriculum levels so where are they getting this mis information from I would really like to know so I can tell them!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)