Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Who Wants Perfection!

Christmas began in our nursery this week and we started making table decorations. For this each child was blobbed a large lump of air-dry clay, a hole was made in the middle for the candle & the child was free to create patterns in their clay, chop bits out of it, or add bits (clay bits - balls & sausages etc.) to their masterpiece.

On Tuesday I worked with half of our nursery children to get the basis of their decoration complete. Some children needed to be reminded not to fill the hole where the candle would go, but generally they were quite happy chopping, poking, rolling etc.

The end product: some interesting pieces, quite obviously done by 3/4 year olds, but all beautiful & individual & all their own work.

On Wednesday I was out on PPA. My children had our regular supply teacher, our NN, a student & a volunteer.

The task: to get through the remaining children with regards to making their decoration.

On Thursday I went in to nursery to find some very beautifully made, elaborate (for nursery children) table decorations, all very well proportioned & almost symmetrical. There was not a finger hole in sight. All the 'balls' were very carefully placed. Nothing fell off when you moved it.

Alarm bells :(:o:(xD :wacko: :(

NN was out yesterday, so today I asked her about it. All she said was that our supply lady was outside with the children & our student was given the task of supervising the children with the clay. She admitted that she thought they didn't look very much like the children's own work either.

I'm really annoyed. I can just picture the student busy making little balls of clay for the children, showing them how to 'not like that, like this' put them on their base & actually, just doing it for them. What a shame for the poor children who probably had their handywork undone by someone who didn't appreciate it for what it was. xD

What makes me cross is that we all know what (most) parents reaction will be (or am I just unlucky with parents??!!) I spend ages talkingabout/showing, -via displays, newsletters, workshops, parents helping etc- the importance of the process not the product only to hear (when they leave nursery) gushes of excitement over identikit offerings!

Am red and hot just thinking about it (quite seasonal)

Barb

"We want them too look good so I have cut out the shapes for them to stick on"

Teacher Reception 10+ years experience.

Not me! Just what I have to contend with!!!!

(Same one that feels she has a right not to be cold, so we don't use the outdoor area but thats another thread!)

43682[/snapback]

I would be joining you on that thread too Sharon! One of our support members of staff told the child who asked if we would be going outside today 'not at the moment, it's raining' (it was ever so slightly drizzly). To which I replied to her quite loudly 'A bit of rain doesn't stop us does it children. We've got coats, wellies & umbrellas & part of the garden has a roof over it! YES, we will be going out.' :oxD:(

oh that is so sad I could cry xD  and fully understand your annoyance.

43649[/snapback]

I totally agree,

The children have;

Lost the opportunity to have a real sense of achievement.

Learnt that creations are for adults expectations and not theirs.

and most probably had a boring 10 minutes watching the adult "do" their work.

The adults have no excuse and if truth be told they do it, not because of the end product being "perfect" but because it is easier, and takes less time and effort than interacting, observing and valueing the childrens own efforts. Unfortunately they are missing out as well. :(

yes, it makes me cross too. :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)