Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

assesments - best place to get my head around it?

Can I ask can anyone tell me any sites or books to help me get my head around the EYFS and tracking/assessments?

Head is all over the place and really just need to clarify for my owN sanity that my understanding of it is correct or if not to clarify a few things for myself.

Having a tough few days and so trying to find a positive approach to move forward with it.

Thanks Helen will download it to my kindle now.

I wouldn't say having difficulties just having some issues. Co manager does not get where I am coming from with my assessment so just want to clear things in my own mind for my own sanity and currently doubting myself now.

it's more the flexibility of the age bands that is causing issues. I think a nearly 4 years old I would expect (to be on target) would be developing or secure in the 30-50 band and some aspects of 40-60+ months. But at what point would I say he was abo've target? If he has his ELG?

I know it's so open to interpretation but I am kind of looking for written facts almost I guess.

Thanks Helen will download it to my kindle now.

I wouldn't say having difficulties just having some issues. Co manager does not get where I am coming from with my assessment so just want to clear things in my own mind for my own sanity and currently doubting myself now.

it's more the flexibility of the age bands that is causing issues. I think a nearly 4 years old I would expect (to be on target) would be developing or secure in the 30-50 band and some aspects of 40-60+ months. But at what point would I say he was abo've target? If he has his ELG?

I know it's so open to interpretation but I am kind of looking for written facts almost I guess.

Hi sazzj

I sense from your other thread that you are really feeling downhearted after not seeing eye to eye with your Co manager. It's horrible when you doubt yourself so much, it can be very stressful and tie you in knots.

It may not help you much, but you seem to be making sense to me so have faith in your stance.

Can you persuade your colleague to agree to staff moderation of judgements.

You could look at the EYFS exemplification as this gives what the ELGs look like in practice.also do you have a link school you could be having a dialogue with?

• Like 1

I tried today to get her to agree that actually they don't have to move up one band per term and its perferctly acceptable if they stay in that band and not moved as progress can still progress can be made.

Her response was it's not good enough for me to stay where they are. They have to move at least one band. I was told my opinions count for nothing and to get back to my forums and websites as they know nothing and it counts for nothing. Tried to keep it civil but left feeling even more deflated and doubting my abilities not only as a preschool assistant but as a manager and as an EYP.

I guess I am looking for reassurance that I do know what I am doing.

I even explained that it was so open to interpretation and as long as they were developing/secure in 30-50 months for going into school then was acceptable. And that anything above that I would view as working above target.

She wants to add emerging developing and secure to the ELG but while I accept the child in question has maybe 50% of the ELG that he doesn't have it all therefore I can't give him it. Best fit would be 90-100% per cent.

I am not even sure I am going to find the answers I am looking for. Just want so reassurance/evidence to put my own mind at ease and to reassure myself if that's even possible.

When we had one, our EY advisor told me that It was important for staff to understand that there may not be any change in bands between assessments at some points and not to change them just for the sake of 'showing progress'...progress within bands is perfectly acceptable i.e. consolidating a skill they had just begun to explore before or strengthening knowledge & understanding etc

I often have children who stay in a band for two assessment periods because I know they are not quite secure there yet and I want to give them that extra time to build the skills.

This is my argument. She doesn't see it as progress.

TBH I think she's annoyed that the children she marked as secure in July at 40-60 months has stayed there. Our chat today kept going back to said child rather than assessment as a whole which is what I was referring too.

Maybe I am being cautious but I don't want to put him as ELG when he's not 100% there x

Manor thank you.

That helps massively. I can stick by my oringinal statememt that at 46 months he was above target.

It's not a clear cut as I was trying to explain that if there age falls into the 40-60 months they are on target as its possible to be nearer 60 months and only just be emerging into that band.

This has certainly made me feel more confident that my judgements are correct. Many thanks

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)