Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

A horrendous situation - child escaped

Ah I'm sorry this happened. I know of a nursery it recently happened at also. They informed Ofsted, put in extra measures etc and an action plan in place. Ofsted carried out an investigation meeting but not a full inspection. They just wanted to see what was in place. They were happy with this so a full inspection was not needed. Ofsted however did publish a complaint note on their site stating what the complaint was, what they did and the conclusion they came to.

Hope everything goes well xxx

I would drop the word 'horrifically' too. I would say something like ' staff are deeply upset at this lapse in our usual high standards and we have taken immediate steps to ensure this cannot happen again'

But yes, get letters out asap, to get the truth out there................

Thank you - luckily I had removed that bit and have started sending letters out already via email and via private message from our face book page too.........hopefully we still have some children turn up tomorrow!

Really feel for you mrsbat and I'm sure your children will turn up tomorrow, As already said 'there by the grace of God', We have recently had to review drop off time and remind parents of the part they play in this too due to a close call, we try and get them to hand a note over if they want to tell us trivial things, even if they just say they want to speak to staff when all children are in or at end of session, it's such a difficult time especially when you get the upset child who's parent doesn't want to come in to settle them and expects a staff member to take them, you're already a man down, someone else is talking c**p at you, a child has appeared with no parent as they're still up the road having a nice chat to their friend (oh how I'd love to say "no I haven't seen them" when the parent shows up 5 minutes later) or the parents who just have to come into the hallway and pfaff on only to find they've then abanded the 'precious' one instead of making sure they've gone into the room and then accident book is needed ...

Try not to beat yourself up, it looks like you've handled it correctly and hopefully ofsted won't be to hard on you.

• Like 1

Oh dear, poor you - those in and out handover times are the most stressful times of the day I think, what with messages to give and receive and people around knee height wandering around under the visual radar if you're distracted by a parent.

I hope you manage to get some sleep tonight, though I guess you'll do a lot of tossing and turning. Greet them all with a cheery 'Good morning' and a beam tomorrow, and then rest for the holiday.

Hope all goes well.

How does this sound?

12th February 2015

Dear parents,

I am writing to inform you of an (unacceptable) incident that happened at drop off time (9am) today (12th February 2015) in which one of the children was able leave the hall and follow their parent across the car park.

(This is totally unacceptable and) All the staff are (horrifically) understandably very upset with the failure of our drop off system and (It is) with this in mind, (that) we have put in place additional protocols to ensure the safety of your children, which should ensure that this will never happen again. (we these are:)

So, in future, one member of staff will stand at the internal door as usual to welcome the children and parents, but now one member of staff will also stand by the external door to let parents in and out to double the security. Another member of staff will be (also be floating) inside the room for parents to speak to away from the door, this member of staff will also be the one (lady) to see if you need to complete a medication or existing injury form.

To help us ensure the safety of all children, please can I ask that you ensure your child is brought fully in to the main hall and settled within the registration circle if they do not settle or prefer to stand etc. please make sure you 'hand over' your child to a member of staff. If you need to speak to (a member of staff) one of us, please do this away from the door so that the member of staff manning the door can concentrate on making sure no children leave unaccompanied.

I have reported this incident to OFSTED myself and we are currently awaiting notice of any action to be taken, possibly an inspection ( unfortunately this is almost definitely going to spark an inspection in which our grade is likely to be moved down from our current GOOD grade.)

We are all so so devastated that this could have happened and the thought of letting any of you down when you have always supported us in so many ways and all we can do is apologise and PROMISE to ensure this never happens again.

Thank you for all your support, and we hope that you will help us with these new systems.

If you have any questions or queries please speak to a member of staff

You can omit anything in brackets

Sending best wishes to your team

Edited by Cait
  • Like 2

We operate from a village hall , once risk assessment is completed parents are given access to corridor , once 9am comes member of staff opens hall doors and then stands at front door to ensure children do not leave , alarms are then set on door.

We do self registration and free play , children become quickly absorbed in play which makes transition easier. All other staff are in room to welcome children and parents . We keep front doors pulled to so any possible escapes are unable to get out and if one door is open because of comings and goings I will put my leg across. If a parent needs to speak we close doors and speak .

What sort of alarm do you have we are in a church hall and need so sift our entrance door.

As others have said..two staff here ...me on the door and my deputy in the hall..parents clambering to get to you...children try and run after parent leaving...fortunately I have two doors..I stand at the inner door to the hall and then there is the outside door....I have on a couple of occasions caught a couple of children trying to escape past me. It sounds like you are doing all the right things but I expect it will be a while before you stop going through it all in your head etc..big hugs to you and your team!

No news from ofsted as yet, I called them twice and spoke to the same lady as yesterday but she said the case hasn't been allocated yet so there is no news regarding any action - not sure if that means anything either way but I was hoping to know something today.....

Sent all the letters out yesterday and have lots of parents emailing saying how happy they are with us and that we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it etc - which is nice to hear.

So I guess I just have to wait for a few days, I'll call ofsted again if I've not heard anything by the middle of next week - as soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

Thank you so much again the support on this forum is amazing!

• Like 6

No news from ofsted as yet, I called them twice and spoke to the same lady as yesterday but she said the case hasn't been allocated yet so there is no news regarding any action - not sure if that means anything either way but I was hoping to know something today.....

Sent all the letters out yesterday and have lots of parents emailing saying how happy they are with us and that we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it etc - which is nice to hear.

So I guess I just have to wait for a few days, I'll call ofsted again if I've not heard anything by the middle of next week - as soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

Thank you so much again the support on this forum is amazing!

I'd be tempted to copy the emails form parents and send to ofsted

• Like 2

What sort of alarm do you have we are in a church hall and need so sift our entrance door.

We have 2 alarms on the front door and a bolt and one alarm on the fire exit doors in hall .

They are £5.39 from Maplins and very loud ! They are battery operated and can be attached by sticky back ( come with it) and screwed as well . Both sets of our doors are also fire exit so have push bars to open hence the need for alarms. The front doors are visible from hall , we added a bolt which we checked with fire service before adding and it is only in use when preschool is in session.

• Like 1

Door Alarm

• Simple-to-use window/door alarm• Ear-splitting 105 dB siren• Ultra-bright red LED beacon

Easy to fit with the self-adhesive pads or screws that are supplied. Install the batteries, stick the Door Alarm to a door (or window) and the magnet to the frame and switch on. If the door is opened the alarm sounds its 105 dB siren and flashes the ultra-bright red LED. Requires two AAA batteries (not supplied), alkaline recommended.

I have been (indirectly) involved (as chair, not staff member) with a similar situation.It made me feel sick, and the staff were in tears, I followed the lost child procedure, full written investigation, including witness staements, full action plan and referred it all to Ofsted. They were completely happy...no inspection...no visit.

Do not beat yourself up about it...its awful...but you have to accept what has happened and move on. You have done everything you could possibly do since the incident.

Edited by eyfs1966

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)