Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

counting from one

Where does she start counting from?

What about getting her to count objects to match a number but using something that links (like lego, unifix cubes etc) then trying to get her to put them in size order then counting again. That's lots of sessions rather than one big mammoth one but hope you know what I'm getting at!

• Like 1

I'm sorry but its 8pm on a Saturday -possibly even half term - you really need to 'switch off' xDxDxD :lol:

My suggestion is - wine, chocolate and I'm sure once totally chilled the answer will come to you.

However, when I can't sleep tonight (around 2-3am) I shall try and think of some sensible ideas :1b

• Like 2

froglet...makes sense counts from 2! (despite lots of intervention)

​Louby loo....husband just made me lovely dinner ...bottle of wine (and aperitif) and finished with chocolate.....be in bed soon just thought i'd post whilst i remembered!/

I do a counting thing at night too,,,,,,learnt from years of doing yoga! works as long as hubby not snoring!

I was going to say the same thing. Often with the best intention when we or parents help children to count, they say the 'one' to start them off so the child never actually says 'one' themselves. It's not common but I have seen it a few times over the years. Can you have a chat with a parent to see how they are supporting at home?

• Like 1

I was going to say the same thing. Often with the best intention when we or parents help children to count, they say the 'one' to start them off so the child never actually says 'one' themselves. It's not common but I have seen it a few times over the years. Can you have a chat with a parent to see how they are supporting at home?

...somewhat complex family...granny actually not parents (but that's beside the point!)

think i'll have another chat and suggest they start from 0 so that she has to say one first.

Silly isn't it...i hadn't thought about that being the reason...but it makes perfect sense. I've never had it before (in 16 years!) but this little one has been slow to progress (again lots of reasons and intervention) but it just seems she has got stuck on this number issue. I'm always going on about how important the 'value' of 0 is ....obviously needed to remind myself xD

• Like 1

It does make perfect sense and is making me thing about when we do counting along the number line and wondering whether I always start at one!

Maybe some games where everyone takes it in turns to start at different numbers. I know it's a way off yet but would be good practice for when she starts counting on. I have a few children who struggle with that because they don't really understand that counting doesn't have to start from one!

It does make perfect sense and is making me thing about when we do counting along the number line and wondering whether I always start at one!

Maybe some games where everyone takes it in turns to start at different numbers. I know it's a way off yet but would be good practice for when she starts counting on. I have a few children who struggle with that because they don't really understand that counting doesn't have to start from one!

I had some very good maths training (many years ago !) and the concept of the value of 0 was explained...it should always be the starting point otherwise when children are older they don't understand how to do negatives! (there are lots of other reasons too)

even when doing songs i do try to take this into account....it's the same sort of thing as when children are doing games with counters and they start at one and count 2 as one because it's the first move (does that make sense!)

will go back in next week with my maths head on and see if i can crack it!!

• Like 1

We'll be pulling ourselves and all staff up for it next week lol

And the next thing to solve is why when children become really confident with writing their names they then start writing it backwards, I get the left handers often do it, but have seen quite a few children do this ?

i suspect this is because physically it's easier as a right hander to start at the right and go away from your body...naturally we dont tend to cross the lateral line in our body. We tend to do really silly large arcs in order to start at the left of the page....nice physical action (better for dyslexics) than just putting a dot to start with or giving them a margin sort of thing!

• Like 1

I had some very good maths training (many years ago !) and the concept of the value of 0 was explained...it should always be the starting point otherwise when children are older they don't understand how to do negatives! (there are lots of other reasons too)

even when doing songs i do try to take this into account....it's the same sort of thing as when children are doing games with counters and they start at one and count 2 as one because it's the first move (does that make sense!)

will go back in next week with my maths head on and see if i can crack it!!

There's an article somewhere on here about the importance of 0 I think. I least I read it somewhere and most useful stuff I read is on here! When I said it I kind of meant starting at 6, 4, 3 0, 1 etc. I really was thinking counting on more than just counting.

I have the same with one of my key children: he usually starts at '2', although could be six or seven, and when I asked if he can start with 'one', he replied "no, I don't like that word!".

Will look into the zero thing...

Hi Finleysmaid, I am interested in the training you mentioned as I personally would never encourage early counters to start counting from zero, as how doe that work for counting objects? Counting on and back from any number is fine for getting to grips with counting on and back for addition and subtraction, but I wouldn't be looking at this until children can count objects accurately and all the skills involved in that. I would be very interested to read research that suggests otherwise if you have some.

With your family, lots of number songs that count up are useful for that repetition, and also taking it in turns counting eg I say 1, you say 2 and so on, and then you swap over. If the child understand games like simon says, that is another way to get them to repeat a sequence that includes the 'one'

It is a penny that usually just drops at some point, may even be in reception when it does, but it usually does.

I've come across this before ....I wonder if it's because the adult often starts by saying 1, expecting the child to continue with 2,3,4..... So that's where they think they should start ?

You know, I had never even thought about the implications of doing this, but makes perfect sense!

We always start from zero if we are counting the children, we do a clapping game and start zero, one......etc

I'm going on some maths training in March so I'll see if I remember to ask about the way to approach this.

• Like 1

Hi Mundia...it was the county maths advisor that mentioned it...when i thought about it i realised that you do have to have a starting point and 0 is the natural start not 1...you can't count 1 until you know when you have none. It would have been well documented (she was that type of trainer....but no idea where she got he info from ! As it was such a long time ago i may not be able to trace the source but if i can find anything i will!

Thanks, it certainly isn't in my top ten of things to advise, as I think the concept of one is much easier to understand than the concept of zero which is not only quite complex but also came very late in our evolutionary history, and initially only as a place holder. And of course I don't think it's an accident that Early years outcomes for the ELG refers to 1 to 20 not 0 to 20.

But I am always fascinated by the ideas and well founded research of others, the only real benefit I can see for counting from zero is if you are a computer programmer or Isaac Asimov.

Interesting though!

• Like 2

Interesting discussion!

I thought the concept of zero or the empty set was actually quite advanced, certainly I have always taught it later.

When counting, I have always reinforced that the starting number is 1, as you cant count an object and assign it number name, zero. Likewise the number you stop at is the number of objects in the set, or the total. When asking children to continue a counting string, we would start at a given number and stop at another. Zero can appear in the backwards counting sequence.

Children need to have some idea of the counting sequence to be able to count objects so rote counting would come first, which is I think what you are asking your little ones to do in this example and would omit the use of zero.

But even if singing songs like 12345 once i caught a fish alive you start with 0 fish (none /nought/zero etc etc!!) When starting a counting board game you need to start from a neutral point to count up to 1, when doing counting games where you step forward you have to start from a zero point. If we gave children 3 sweets and they ate them they would know that they have none left.....it's easy to explain that this point is sometimes called zero isn't it?

sorry seem to have gone a bit off track here....but it is interesting how something so simple can cause 185 views! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)