Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

People Who Help Us

Next terms topic is planned to be People Who Help Us (both in school and in the community.) Really need to be inspired with some new activities especially in designing and making and investigation and exploration. In fact in all 6 areas of learning. Can anyone out there help me with some ideas? Thankyou!!!

Thanks for the site link - fantastic resources on there. Still struggling with ideas for this topic especially in designung and making, exploration and investigation. All ideas gratefully received

Hi gill,

What "people" are you thinking of focusing on?

People who keep us safe...Design a safety poster on traffic, fire in the home, what to do if you get lost etc

People who mend things...mechanic...using a model car / lorry etc, how can we mend the wheels? battery controlled cars...disconect and learn how to reconnect batteries to mend the car.

Role play people who come to mend household items such as washing machine, TV, make models of these, have screwdrivers, pliers etc available to act out mending them.

How we help disabled people - blind - explore reflective materials, gadgets that help people with disbilities.

role play lollypop lady/man - make a lollypop sign, zebra crossing traffic lights etc.

not very inspired but they are my first thoughts :o

Peggy

Thanks for the ideas we are doing people who help us in school then onto people like bus drivers, paramedics, police, fire. They will all come into school and talk to children etc . Firefighters are excellent because they let them knock down a cone with jet of water but I am feeling really uninspired at the moment as to follow up activities

Could the children explore squirting water with plant sprayers to knock a ping pong ball off a stand? What kind of spray works best? Which way do you have to turn the nozzle?

Squirting air jets from squeezy bottles - which one is the best for pushing a ping pong ball along the table? How close does the nozzle need to be to the ball for the best effect?

Investigating finger prints - do all our prints look the same? Do we have the same print on each finger?

What happens to sounds as they travel further away from our ears? Is it easier to hear a single repeated note or alternating notes of different pitch? Can you design a sound maker?

Make a model vehicle with rotating wheels - investigate toy cars, how are they made so that the wheels can turn freely?

extending peggys people who mend things- our children were really facinated by what was under the bonnet of a car, we took them out to have a look under my car bonnet, the more able ones took pictures and we printed them out for them to look at while they spent ages making a 'junk' model of the engine. This was so popular we had to repeat it.

Inge

extending peggys people who mend things- our children were really facinated by what was under the bonnet of a car, we took them out to have a look under my car bonnet, the more able ones took pictures and we printed them out for them to look at while they spent ages making a 'junk' model of the engine. This was so popular we had to repeat it. 

Inge

44089[/snapback]

My children LOVE washing my car, about once a fortnight!!.

Parents accuse me of child labour, I don't know why :o

and yes, we've looked under the bonnet as well. :D

Peggy

Going along the theme of cars ...... does anyone know where I can get old steering wheels from? I would like to use them outside with our big blocks. I asked my garage today when my car was in for repair ... but the mechanic thought I'd find it difficult to get any!! Any suggestions???

Have you got a local car scrap yard? or maybe try the local council, what do they do with cars that are abandoned?

Good luck, sounds like a great idea.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)