Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Any bright ideas?

Although most of you are probably enjoying the Good Friday I am currently wading through ILP's!

Can anyone inspire me on a fun activity to: "seperate a group of 3 or 4 objects recognising the total is the same"? Bearing in mind that if you were to sit down at a 'tea party' in our setting and share out playdoh cakes, They would be scrunched up and turned into something else in a flash!! - its those Two's again!....

Although most of you are probably enjoying the Good Friday I am currently wading through ILP's!

Can anyone inspire me on a fun activity to: "seperate a group of 3 or 4 objects recognising the total is the same"? Bearing in mind that if you were to sit down at a 'tea party' in our setting and share out playdoh cakes, They would be scrunched up and turned into something else in a flash!! - its those Two's again!....

erhumm...in which of the prime areas is this a target????

ZIP WALLET GAME

• Use a permanent marker to draw a vertical line on the front of a clear plastic A5+ zip wallet - thus dividing the bag in 'half' - you could use an A4 size wallet if you prefer but you will need more gel and it will take longer to 'achieve' the outcome
  • Half fill with clear (if possible) hair gel - I have used green hair gel because it was all I could find at the time
  • Place 3 or 4 objects (I used 5) into the wallet - make it more interesting by using something that will interest the child, e.g. superheroes or very small cars/toys
  • Zip up the wallet and add PVA (or just tape) to the zip for additional 'security' - just to ensure that the gel doesn't seep out
  • Now ask the child to count how many objects he can see - how many on this side (left)? How many on that side (right)? How many altogether? Keep pushing the objects around the wallet so that there are varying amounts on each side. The hair gel allows the objects to be pushed around fairly easily.
  • You could make several with verying amounts of objects inside.

PHOTO SLEEVE GAME

• Buy some plastic photo album refill display sleeves with 9 pockets - these are A4 size (see below)
  • Print 4 spidermen pictures (or something to interest the child) of a size to fit into the pockets
  • Place them randomly in the pockets
  • The pockets are easy to bend along the folds
  • First ask the child to count all of the pictures
  • Now fold the sleeve so that some of the pictures cannot be seen
  • How many can you see now?
  • Turn the sleeve over - how many can you see now?
  • Open it out again - how many can you see now?
  • The sleeve can be folded easily and in different ways

My children love these activities

The picture below was taken from an ebay search, so you can see what I am talking about!!

mbQglqEnLwJrCILzRXSx8bg.jpg

You make these (they used to be called flipflops) with pieces of card laminated. If I can did a picture I will add later.

But I did this quite informally with my grandson and a marble run as it was his favourite toy. It had two separate run sections, we had 5 marbles and he would collect and share them between us to race down our tracks. We always a talked about how many we had and he soon hot to know for example if one was dropped on the floor or if I was hiding one (which I did often).

You can do the same with cooking..putting smarties or raisins on two cakes.

hi,

i did an activity relating to 3 billy goats gruff.

i had two pieces of green paper with a bridge in between - we talked about the story - counted the goats then walked one goat across the bridge - then talked about how many each side / all together - repeated till all goats across the bridge then repeated with the goats going back over the bridge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)