Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Lovely, Sweet Children!

I just wanted to let everyone know that we did our nativity today in the nursery & it went very well! :)

I was disappointed to discover that at my infant school, the Y2s do all the work for the school production & all other years - including the nursery - sing. I decided to be brave & the result was that we had our own mini show (well 2 shows as we had a.m. & p.m) today. I wrote out a simple version of the nativity, found appropriate places for appropriate songs & taught them to the children. I'm not saying it was well-polished of anything, but in a way that was the beauty of it: the children practised the songs enough that NN & I weren't singing alone (except for We Wish You a Merry Christmas, at the end, which the children all had tambourines for - they were slightly too busy to sing!) but not so much that they were bored with the songs.

The turn-out was tremendous: good this morning, but when I opened the doors this afternoon, you'd have thought we were hosting January sales! We were left with standing room only.

Parents comments were also very positive. Also the deputy's, who was sent to support us in this afternoon's performance ( :o )

I have gone from feeling slightly apprehensive (this morning) to pretty pleased with myself (now).

Just wanted to share! :D

Well done - it's great when things go well and it really is the best time for them - we've got ours on Monday - and who knows what will happen - the angels might just be angels and on the other hand they might jsut not be. I get very stressed - although after seven years we know that it always turns out alright - apart from one when our voices were really tested - interestingly enough the children were or I thought the most confident group I had had and yet on the day - nothing - absoluttely nothing - one child jsut stood on stage with his hands over his ears - probably our singing no doubt and at the end one of the children dropped his trousers and mooned at the audience!!!! Well there you go aren't they lovely, always suprising me.

Working sunday night to set up the hall with all it's finery.

Wish me well

Nikki

No they're the best times, aren't they - I'm usually as close to tears as the parents!!! :o

We did ours on Sunday and Thursday this week. Sunday was part of the family service. It was so packed Mary and Joseph and later the wise men couldn't get down the side aisle on their journeys.

Mary started off by refusing to stand up at all. A shepherd came dressed as an angel and stood mid stage and announced loudly 'I is an angel' After we finished the cow (there wasn't a cow in the script but he insisted that was what he would be) took all the lower decorations off the Christmas tree while his Dad videoed him doing it!

The minister simply carried on with the service keeping it very short and doing his talk with the help of a puppet who didn't like Christmas shopping.

The Thursday performance was for the Day Centre for the elderly who meet downstairs. They have a guest speaker every Thursday morning and this week that was us. (the organiser tells me in about January what date she would like us to come.) Of course the parents want to come too. We have an arguement every year because she wants to reserve seats at the front for her group. She puts out reserved notices, I go in and move them - and besides they only say reserved so who are they reserved for. It came to a head this year because the Christmas tree was larger than usual so she changed sides so that her people could see. One or two parents arriving early sat in 'reserved ' seats. The Day Centre organiser was very abrupt telling them that this was for her group and if they wanted to see it Sunday's performance had been for them and they should have come then. Then one of the members was rude to one of my staff who was downstairs setting up. Result - Day Centre told in no uncertain terms that they had to remember that this was 3 year olds we are dealing with. If they want a play they have to accept that the children need to be able to see their parents and not just a batch of strangers, the parents will be there and will sit where they like. The organiser caught me afterwards and was very apologetic for upsetting people but the damage had been done by then and she will no doubt have forgotten again by next year. sigh.

Still the children were brilliant - oh an innkeeper became an angel this time, (maybe an angel in an apron ought to be written in every year) and none of the Roman soldiers would move but so what.

Christmas always feels like it starts with the Preschool Nativity

Hi

Just wanted to say thanks for the songs I found on this site.

Had our Nativity this afternoon, which went very well despite the odd hiccup (Mary wouldn't be Mary at the last minute so we had an excellent stand in who was a natural, knew Joseph was poorly this morning so we had chance to promote his understudy who was also great). On reflection it was a jolly good idea that we enabled all of the children to take the part of the different characters earlier on in the process.

We used some of the songs found here, adapted them in places, added a very simple story and a birthday cake for baby Jesus result ing in manycomplimentary comments from parents. So huge thanks to you all for the inspiration!

Deb

Congratulations (everyone0! I was dreading ours, one little girl lost her dress- but carried on dancing! What a star- would have made the professionals on Strictly Come Dancing blush!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)