Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Should I or Shouldnt I? (Buy Go set a watchman?)

AnonyMouse_73

I don't know Mundia - I am equally torn. I refused to read To kill a mockingbird for ages as it was one of my sister's GCSE books and she and my mum kept talking about it and telling me I should read it - guaranteed to put me off! ;) Then I accidentally saw the film and fell in love with the story (and a little bit with Gregory Peck too!) I have read it so many times since - sometimes from one end to the other and back to the start straight away. I have seen the mixed reviews too and don't want it to spoil things backwards if that makes any sense!

Having said that I will probably succumb in the end out of sheer curiosity!

I'm in the same boat! I have fond memories of To Kill a Mockingbird from my school days, although I haven't read it for years. I'm not sure whether to read the new one, although I probably will eventually!

Hi,

LOVE the 'Mockingbird'........have read the mixed reviews, but what really bothers me is that it is (supposedly/apparently) the rejected manuscript that was turned into our much loved book. That has put me off, even though the new book is displayed all over the entrance to our Sainsbury's (where normally I cannot walk past!!). I expect that I, too (Froglet) will eventually succumb, but right now I am firmly 'on the fence'.

Sorry, my lovely friend mundia xxx

Sue x

PS sunnyday - have you REALLY not read 'Mockingbird'?? Well, you must. x

Edited by Sue R

Well I am still sitting comfortably on my fence, but I'm sure I will give in eventually!

or I could just wait for the lovely Sue R to read and offer a view!

Sunnyday glad you bit the bullet with Mockingbird, it's on my top 10 reads of all time (even my top 5, no, top 3....)

• Like 2

Hello mundia !! And all.

Well, much to my amazement I have finished already!! I have left tasks undone, I fear, but it was a riveting read. I was struck by how powerful it was for a first novel, which we must remember it was.

As I understand it, Watchman was the novel submitted for publication which was returned with the suggestion that Harper Lee concentrate on episodes from Scout's childhood that featured throughout the book. As such, Watchman is not a sequel. I am, now I have read it, a little surprised it wasn't published, but then I suppose we would not have Mockingbird - a situation not to contemplated!!

I've read reviews and now I've read the book, I find it difficult to square them. Perhaps I have missed something, but I enjoyed the book. At times as I began it, I found myself mentally referring back to Mockingbird - this isn't a good idea as it makes it difficult to settle into the story. I'm not sure I would put it on a par with Mockingbird, but that would be extremely difficult. However, I wouldn't agree with one reviewer that it detracts from the classic and forever taints the reputation it has enjoyed since its publication. The writing is evocative and easy to read - a criticism has been that it lacks plot, but I'm not sure a detailed plot is essential here, as it seems to me to be about personal journeys.

That said, we will all have our own take on Watchman, and I will be interested to hear what others think of it. I would recommend the read.

By the way, mundia, what are your other top 3 reads?

Sue

Edited by Sue R