Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Preschool interactive group activities

Hi all,

I would like some ideas for group time activities that are more interactive and require more children's participation rather than just a story or singing in together. I know these involve children too but am after some other ideas, preferably ones that get then moving as our group time is usually after lunch so would like to avoid too much sitting.

Many thanks

We play beans sometimes. We call out different types of beans and the children have to make an action associated with that bean, for instance, coffee beans - they all pretend to cough, jelly beans and they wobble, jumping beans, runner beans, french beans, chilli beans, beans on toast (they lie on the floor like starfish, butter beans, they slip and slide about, string beans, kidney beans they curl up on the floor. broad beans, they make themselves as "broad" as they can, beanstalk, they have to crouch down and grow upwards right onto tiptoes, baked beans, they pretend they are sunning themselves.

• Like 1

Parachute is a great group activity too , I use ' pull the cracker 123 ' we call this out followed by child's name jumps up and shouts or whispers it's me, it's really beneficial to encourage interaction amongst those that are quieter , we assist if needed and also enables children to learn each other's names . So for example ,' pull the cracker 123 ( all children pull the edges of parachute ) , Johnny jumps up and shouts 'it's me'

We then follow with lots of different games , songs etc , you can make it as active as you wish , ours love parachute.

• Like 2

Music is also another favourite but I lead it differently to other staff - I start with clapping syllables of our names then introduce instruments and use our hands to drum on floor and make rhymes as I go or pretend to be different animals etc

I. Have a little rhyme to help focus ' if you play before I say I will take it away' the children repeat this so we all understand the rules but we also have mad music time where they just experiment with sounds etc , fast slow, loud quiet and louder

Edited by lashes2508
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)